Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi i am just enquiring to find out if anyone has tried to fit a bigger carb on to the 250 ninja for example off the older 400 or a 636 this is because i have enquired everywhere to find this out and i can get no information anywhere to as if this would work.

so if anyone out there has any info could you please post and let me know

thanks,

Kieran

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
One thing people tend to forget: Things have to be matched. These engines are pretty well matched (camshaft, heads, intake, carbs). Go ahead and throw a bigger carburetor on and see what happens to your power-band! If you are really interested in throwing a larger diameter carburetor (first you'd want to probably upgrade to a CR style carburetor) you'd also have to port your heads, do valve work while you're there, stab a slightly longer duration camshaft in, and you'd definitely need to have an aftermarket header...

... Right about now is when someone interjects with, "If you want more power for that $$ amount, get a 500cc+ bike". :p

·
Registered
603 Posts
hi i am just enquiring to find out if anyone has tried to fit a bigger carb on to the 250 ninja for example off the older 400 or a 636 this is because i have enquired everywhere to find this out and i can get no information anywhere to as if this would work.

so if anyone out there has any info could you please post and let me know

thanks,

Kieran
I haven't. Why do you want to? Re-jetting not gonna do it for you?

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
I gotcha. I'm gonna need a bigger set of carbs when I turbocharge mine...:crazyloco:
You'd be surprised. With turbos so long as you're running a blow through set-up (an air box built around the carbs) the carburetors are pretty forgiving. You'll need to re-jet, but other than that the 30mm carburetors would accept several lbs. of pressure without hiccups! :D

·
Registered
603 Posts
LMK how that goes, I'm also in the works of that. Should be fun :)
When I eventually get a bigger turbo for my car, I'll try and graft the IHI VF-43 on it. It should spool up by 12000 RPM.... And make 300 HP.

Maybe something smaller, like a Garrett T12, though? It would be a fun ride to have it put 14 lbs in at 5000 RPM and pull the front wheel off the ground at 35 MPH!

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
For shits and giggles, when I first got my 250r I looked up the charts on the T12's and it's still wayyyyy too big for our engines :) Even at 13,000 RPM the 250r's don't put out enough exhaust gas to come close to the surge limit. I'll probably get shit for encouraging people, BUT...

Check eBay if you want smaller turbos :rolleyes:

Maybe something smaller, like a Garrett T12, though? It would be a fun ride to have it put 14 lbs in at 5000 RPM and pull the front wheel off the ground at 35 MPH!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Ya full boost by 12k is way too late.
My friend can get a custom little one, he tested it out on his hyosung 250 and that thing was wicked.
great powerband too, ill keep u updated

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
This is one of those times where I'm going to have to say just buy a bigger bike. I'm all for getting a little more power from the 250 but a turbo is under the "No... just no" list for me.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
I wouldn't do it but for shits and giggles if I hit the lottery. It would whole heartedly defeat the purpose of having a 250 (You'd have to run higher octane gas, reliability goes out the window, the power band goes to shit, and fuel economy goes to shit). I think it'd be neat to see how someone went about doing it (from the mechanical standpoint) though that's why I put the subtle hints in peoples heads :devil38: .

That and it REALLY wouldn't be that hard, escpecially with all that space underneath the seat where the airfilter box goes .:devil31:

·
Registered
110 Posts
nope, people are taking it over the top. I don't plan to put a big snail in it at all, just a little thing for acceleration. Luckily my homie can build a bike from spare parts and has legit tools, so he's helping me. Trust me, if it was laggy or just not fun i would not do it.

I have a turbo charged vehicle so I know the in's and out's of them

·
Registered
603 Posts
The higher octane requirement, as well as issues with detonation due to high compression could be helped with water/meth injection... I'm just saying...

Not that I've given any thought to it.

But damn, a 35 horsepower 250 with 30 lb/ft of torque would be a riot! Like a moped on 'roids!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts