Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys and gals....
I have been on this site for quite some time and appreciate all i hear from others and their thoughts, even if it it does not effect any decisions i make.

Right now i am at that point many only dream of and yet i find i am doing OK.
I was thinking the oither night while screwing around youtube and watching some motogp videos...WHAT ABOUT A DESMOSEDICI?

I figure part and sell my zx6r, zx10r, 1098 & sell the vette and finance the rest for the last 3 years i have in the army.
I would love to have something of this caliber (way above what i can ride for sure) but having it is like owning a McLaren F1 of motorcycles, just simply awesome.

the insurance isnt to bad and performance wise a guy i know who has one says it is simply amazing.
I just have not had enough time around 1 to decide if i am truly willing to give up
2 of the best looking and amazing performing bikes i have for 1 that looks wise is still not at the same level. Just dont get Total Wood while looking at it.

The bike would be heading to germany with me and the warranty will still be good while overseas.

WHat would you guys do.
Variety and amazing bikes and a not to shabby car.
1 totally undescribale bike?

·
Premium Member
41,542 Posts
It's your call man... That's a lot of money. You can build a very mean bike with a fraction of that money.

Not many people get to have things like that so if you really want to, why not? You can always flip it later if you don't want it anymore. :p

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
DO IT, SO I CAN COME RIDE IT JD!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil6:

·
AKA "White Dynamite"
3,935 Posts
The "symphany of ass whippin" that comes from the exhaust of the V4 is almost worth $70k to me, but could you imagine laying something like that down?

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I can't imagine the cost of maintaining that bike if you used it frequently which I'm sure you would....

·
Registered
182 Posts
I wouldn't do it cause i know it would bite me. But it is your call man like you said undescribable or a bunch of cool stuff. i personaly would go bunch of cool stuff btw. Let us know what you do.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I think it's a dumb idea....that thing is meant only to be on a track....driving it on the street would be useless.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
That would be an AMAZING bike to own but what a price to pay!

Getting rid of your 3 perfectly setup bikes for one amazing bike plus a payment doesnt work for me.

Honestly you have a bike for whatever mood your in right now, and I think in retrospect if you buy it you will honestly regret having the "novelty" of it over the 3 perfect bikes you parted out and canned!

Wether you get it or not Im still jealous of your bikes, or possibly soon to be bike.:D

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I wouldn't want to have that bike as an "only bike". If I had 70k that I could easily part with, I would buy one, but it's really impractical to have nothing else to ride. I am sure the maintenance on the thing has to be retarded expensive, and those soft, DD16 specific tires have to cost a shit ton. The sound of that bike is incredible in person, its a definite lust machine. You compare it to a McLaren F1, how sane would it be to sell all your other vehicles and your house to buy an F1 and move into a shitbox?

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
jd....yeah the three bikes you have are VERY nice...but...when it really comes down to it, they all could be replaced fairly easily, and for far less money than the D16RR. To top it off, all three are depreciating in value right now. The Corvette is in the same boat as well. If you're in a position to afford one...and you'll be paid off in only three years, I'd say get it. One thing I would want to be sure of though, is that I have another means of transportation over there. I would never want to leave that bike unattended off base...ever.
Life is short...sometimes real short. If you realistically have the means to swing it now, why not? You may not be in a finanacial circumstance like this ever again. By not having a mortgage, no wife and kids yet,( I'm assuming ),and being in the military, you have the freedom to make a choice like this. I'm jealous... I make a good living, but my window for these choices is closed. Grab it brother, and have a blast. Hell...think about the resale value if you decide you want to get out of it for some reason. Keep from tossing it on the "ring", and I'll bet you get most of your money back.
Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
719 Posts
simple; get a 1098R; it has just about the same or more hp (more torque for sure), traction control, and all for 40k... the desmo doesn't appeal to me excep the noise..

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
simple; get a 1098R; it has just about the same or more hp (more torque for sure), traction control, and all for 40k... the desmo doesn't appeal to me excep the noise..
I can honestly say I've seen more Desmosedici's in person than I have 1098R's.

·
Registered
558 Posts
just do it you only live once!!! the advice so far is all sound advice but but if practicality always did the talkin, then........then.........i dont know you just got me excited about it! your call man;)

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
thats a stupid idea imo. if u have to sell so much shit to get something u really cant afford, meaning seellling all ur shit to get. maintance would suck. reliability is shitty, and u can have so much mroe for the money.. i saw a guy at buttonwillow last tuesday with one, right when he got it off the trailer he noticed it was leaking fuel from the charcol canister, so that was that for the day. keep all ur other toys, its not going to be worth it unless ur a bad ass gp rider that can actually ride the bike to its capibility.
plus the lay down factor would be horrible

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
if you finance even a partial amount for 3 years, will the same bike be as special to you 3 years from now?
will it's value tank with the release of who knows what in 3 years?
also price is pretty high up there, you can get a Tamburini and a Senna and still have $ left for price of Desmo.
you know your situation best, i'm sure you'll make a wise decision, gl man

·
Registered
966 Posts
Are you serious? A Vette?? Come on man. This is a MOTOGP BIKE!! Infinitely worth more than a freakin' Vette, infinitely worth more than any other bike on the road today. I don't care if Ducs are "unreliable." (they aren't, there's a couple of guys around LA that have Desmos and ride the canyons with them).

Dude, sell whatever you have (shy of a house) and buy this bike. (IT'S NOT GOING TO DEPRECIATE). Vette= money hole, kawis = money hole. Desmo = break just about even (given that you don't crash it).

Think about how many useless people drive Corvettes. Think about how many people drive Kawis. Now think of how many people you know that own a freaking MotoGP bike. Case closed. Sell all you have and buy it dude. This is a no-brainer.

Even if you ride it and decide that the bike is not for you, sell it (you'll definitely break even and have no problem selling it), and re-buy all your old run-of-the-mill stuff.

Dude, Jdgun, i respect everything you say on this forum, but this is a no-brainer.

·
Andre 3000
1,092 Posts
If you can afford do it. If you can pay it off in 3 years you will be able to get other toys later. If you lay it down it can fixed like any other bike.

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Come on guys seriously...its obvious youre picking the wrong bikes. Trade all the bikes in for THE ZZR600. Its very reliable, you dont have to mess with that fuel injection computer crap, i mean who REALLY knows how that works. It does awesome on the streets, and it turns heads like yo' pimps in the bed. You could buy 10 ZZR600s, im really thinking this a no-brainer

But really, I guess my whole view is dont put all your toys in one basket, I would much prefer 3 bikes and performance car to one bike for all situations.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts