Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
21 - 40 of 69 Posts
I'm just going to hop in to say "I was here". You know what I'd say, and why. lol

Are you serious? A Vette?? Come on man. This is a MOTOGP BIKE!! Infinitely worth more than a freakin' Vette, infinitely worth more than any other bike on the road today. I don't care if Ducs are "unreliable." (they aren't, there's a couple of guys around LA that have Desmos and ride the canyons with them).

Dude, sell whatever you have (shy of a house) and buy this bike. (IT'S NOT GOING TO DEPRECIATE). Vette= money hole, kawis = money hole. Desmo = break just about even (given that you don't crash it).

Think about how many useless people drive Corvettes. Think about how many people drive Kawis. Now think of how many people you know that own a freaking MotoGP bike. Case closed. Sell all you have and buy it dude. This is a no-brainer.

Even if you ride it and decide that the bike is not for you, sell it (you'll definitely break even and have no problem selling it), and re-buy all your old run-of-the-mill stuff.

Dude, Jdgun, i respect everything you say on this forum, but this is a no-brainer.

Agree with every you said 110%. This is not just another Ducati with an astronomical price tag, the Desmosedici is a GP bike for the street plain and simple. It's highly unlikely another manufacturer will release something like this to the public ever again, especially with tightening emissions regulations, etc. If you have the resources to obtain one of these machines, I don't see how you pass up the opportunity IMO.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
thanks for all the input i truly do appreciate it, my 1SG (next higher enlisted NCO) was like man i know you can swing it but look what your giving up in the process.

I am heading down to the dealer to find out exactly how much we are talking, as i have seen them go for $70 and now some places are wanting $85K, yet on ebay as low as $55 already.

Going to call the guy i know with 1, he also has a 1098R which really doesnt appeal to me for $40K and see what he really feels about his bike and take a good hard look at it and see if it truly is worth the price i am looking at paying for admission.
Performance wise i dont think you can find a superior bike beside an AMA/WSBK or real Gp Bike.
and as what was said they are still disposable jap bikes.

SKYWALKER, the reliability issue is a serious concern especially since my 1098 has been down off and on all year long with warranty issues...hows 145miles all year sound for riding?

Fell first of all how easy is it to find one?

If you aren't married and have no kids to support, shit go for it.

As mentioned, the good thing is it might not depreciate much and might appreciate. Just as long as you don't crash it or have it stolen. I would also check how much insurance is on that...

I thought the price includes a 3 year warranty and service?

I would still spend my money on something else though. Perhaps invest it, make more and use the profits on it.

I could never ride the thing to its potential, not to mention I would be scared of dropping it. So I would pass :D. Maybe get a GTR :D.

145 miles all year? There must be crack in Duc exhausts.. I just dont understand why everyone loves the Duc, but at the same time it seems i'm ALWAYS hearing about the constant maintenance w/ them. I love the designs & sexy rev's, but I'd hate being sidelined for any amount of time..

JD, im one of the ones who dream to be in your position. All those choices & all of them paid or nearly paid off? *sigh* Inspiring, seriously.. But I wouldnt do it unless you were VERY passionate about it. And it seems like you were just watching some clips on youtube & thought, "hey i want one". So i wouldnt do it unless your absolutley PASSIONATE about having one, then I say hey you only live once!

SKYWALKER, the reliability issue is a serious concern especially since my 1098 has been down off and on all year long with warranty issues...hows 145miles all year sound for riding?
I told you to expect that from the 1098. You can't take such a small company with such a small production run, create a brand new machine from the ground up with a massive R&D budget and no first-production-year racing classes, sell it for $3k LESS, and expect it to be reliable. Hate to say it, but I told you so, man. Other than the charging system glitches common to the 916, my baby gave me 10k+ trouble-free miles, because it was well-designed, well-funded, and in exchange cost an assload on the showroom floor.

In that same vein, there are very few similarities between the 1098 and the D16 other than the logo on the tank.

I thought the price includes a 3 year warranty and service?
If you buy it new, it did. Not sure if it was 3 years unlimited miles on the service, might have just been the first few major ones...plus if you're going to buy it 2nd hand, I'm not sure if it's transferable.

SushiMe said:
I could never ride the thing to its potential, not to mention I would be scared of dropping it. So I would pass :D. Maybe get a GTR :D.
That's what insurance is for. Plus, isn't the GTR going to be like 90k?
145 miles all year? There must be crack in Duc exhausts.. I just dont understand why everyone loves the Duc, but at the same time it seems i'm ALWAYS hearing about the constant maintenance w/ them. I love the designs & sexy rev's, but I'd hate being sidelined for any amount of time..
It's the same reason you hear bad problems with everything. The only time you ever listen are when people are complaining, and the 1098 totally doesn't count. lol But i'm not going to go into that yet again. :D;)

I guess I'm just old, but if I were liquidating toys I would use the money to oh...pay off my house? I know, I'm practical and silly but I am getting older with a family. Now, if you are unattached, no real worries why not buy one, own it for a while, sell it and settle down? Just remember, you are buying a big piece of depreciation!

I guess I'm just old, but if I were liquidating toys I would use the money to oh...pay off my house? I know, I'm practical and silly but I am getting older with a family. Now, if you are unattached, no real worries why not buy one, own it for a while, sell it and settle down? Just remember, you are buying a big piece of depreciation!

Best advice EVAR. Pay-off/Buy house and live for free, then waste money on all the toys you want and never look back.

You could easily afford to finance the Ducati until you grew tired of it.

This reminds me of a buddy of mine who deperately wanted an M3, sold some toys and used a home equity to borrow the 50k and then ended up selling the car for 10k less a year later. I guess as long as it doesn't depreciate much, there's no real risk.

btw-Not sure what vette you have, but I'm in the market for a late model C5.

after you look at your buddies and decide you really would like to have one but still unsure,
think,
you only live once Jd, get it, ride it till you can't ride no longer man.

if you don't, you'll always wish you had. if you do, you'll prolly think maybe i shouldn't have but dam this thing is fucking awesome!

live for today "somewhat", tomorrow may not come.

it's a hard decision. in my shoes, i couldn't/wouldn't. in your situation, i'd do it for the fun of it.

I totally agree with warbuk... but might not purchase it if it has to be through finance... would really hate to lose my dream bike because I might not be able to make a future payment due to possible change in financial circumstances...

Then again, if you are pretty sure of your situation for the term of the finance, go for it!!!

This reminds me of a buddy of mine who deperately wanted an M3, sold some toys and used a home equity to borrow the 50k and then ended up selling the car for 10k less a year later. I guess as long as it doesn't depreciate much, there's no real risk.

btw-Not sure what vette you have, but I'm in the market for a late model C5.
At that point it's no different from just leasing a vehicle, and people do that all the time. That's how I see things, anyway. I HATE owing money to people, and try to pay for everything with cash. I don't even own a credit card, just a debit card that is accepted by any Visa vendor. My Z, for example...I bought it for $7,500, used it for a good while, around 15,000 miles, then when I was done with it sold it for $7,000. So the way I see it, I paid $500 total to 'lease' an AMAZING machine for almost a full normal lease term. :dunno: Being a D16RR...that thing won't depreciate much as far as percentages goes. It's not like they're going to be everywhere and they're going to keep making more and more of them. I doubt it'll EVER be worth as little as 40k or 45k, EVER, not even 5, 10, 20 years from now, not even with 40,000 miles on the odometer. Most mass produced Ducati's hit their trough around 30% of MSRP, then stablize, then after a decade or so if they're still mint they start creeping back up in price, and these are bikes that are released globally in healthy 5-digit unit numbers, not exactly 'limited edition' by exotic vehicle standards.

I would get it and a older 636 or something as a junker lol

At that point it's no different from just leasing a vehicle, and people do that all the time. That's how I see things, anyway. I HATE owing money to people, and try to pay for everything with cash. I don't even own a credit card, just a debit card that is accepted by any Visa vendor. My Z, for example...I bought it for $7,500, used it for a good while, around 15,000 miles, then when I was done with it sold it for $7,000. So the way I see it, I paid $500 total to 'lease' an AMAZING machine for almost a full normal lease term. :dunno: Being a D16RR...that thing won't depreciate much as far as percentages goes. It's not like they're going to be everywhere and they're going to keep making more and more of them. I doubt it'll EVER be worth as little as 40k or 45k, EVER, not even 5, 10, 20 years from now, not even with 40,000 miles on the odometer. Most mass produced Ducati's hit their trough around 30% of MSRP, then stablize, then after a decade or so if they're still mint they start creeping back up in price, and these are bikes that are released globally in healthy 5-digit unit numbers, not exactly 'limited edition' by exotic vehicle standards.
Absolutely. Unless you're pretty damn sure you will keep the vehicle forever, the key becomes how much if any the thing will depreciate. In my friend's case (actually brother-in-law) he bought an almost brand new M3 before it had a chance to depreciate. Then a baby comes along and he needs to sell, but now the new M3 comes out, the economy and gas prices hit and he takes a 10k hit after only driving it a few thousand miles. The end result is his 'dream car' purchase was a bust.

I can't imagine the same thing happening with the sedici tho. They're much more exclusive than an M3.

Discussion starter · #39 ·
As of this morning, i talked with the dealer and i have a bike if i want one and for less than MSRP of the $72,500, also if they take my 1098 as a trade i get another $2500 knocked off from ducati (how nice), i wont have to pay sales tax either (Oregon).

I am meeting up with the guy i know who has one this weekend and will sit on it and take a good hard look, if i am lucky a ride and then make a SOLID decision.

Vette-Easy enough to replace
zx6r-some parts will be hard to get but doable none the less
zx10r-all parts easy enough to find and buy again, just cost noticably more to replicate
My bike trailer is up for sale already
have about $100G in equity in property as we speak

so this weekend will be the determining factor

21 - 40 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.