Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm going to go into a little back story about the bike first so that when I present the issue in this thread, people understand what it can't be.

I bought a 2008 zx-6r in June and the bike seemed to ride very nice. I wanted to change the color of the bike and make some minor upgrades to it. So I put brand new rear sets on, slip on exhaust, clutch/brake lever, brake fluid reservoir, brake pads, and fairings. I realized after about a month or so after riding it continuously (pretty much every day), that I started getting a weird bogging down effect. Under load, the bike would hesitate and at one point actually died. So I took the bike to my mechanic and we put in brand new spark plugs, air filter, and an aftermarket Monster Energy Quantum fuel pump. The problem went away for about 4 days and then out of nowhere, while riding, the bike died and wouldn't start up again. I then took it back to my guy and found out that the pump was completely shot. We put a new one in, same brand. It ran well for about a week then started bogging again. Took the bike back. I replaced all 8 fuel injectors, fuel pressure regulator, and sealed the fuel tank after finding out that there were a couple pin holes in the bottom. Also, when my guy took the fuel rail off, he noticed that there was a popcorn-like substance inside the fuel rail. Apparently the previous owner put E-85 in the bike and over time it developed literal corn deposits within the rail so he cleaned it out for me. It was good for about a day and started bogging down again but now, It wouldn't even rev over 10k rpms even when stationary with the kick stand down. So naturally, I took it back and we put in another brand new fuel pump because we figured the last pump was weakened from before we replaced the injectors and cleaned out the fuel rail. When I went to pick up the bike, we turned it on and revved it up, it easily red lined. I shut it off and went to turn it on again and it wouldn't start without giving it a little throttle. Now the bike starts fine but the idle position is a little wonky and sometimes goes below 1k and almost dies. When I first start it, it will easily rev over 10k but once I get on it and the bike warms up, it won't go past a certain point on the throttle. It will steadily climb over 10k but if I go past a certain point with the throttle it bogs down hard. But if I gradually roll back on the throttle, it launches forward like it should have done when giving it more throttle, not less. I'm starting to think it may be the TPS that could be burnt out in a specific spot. It absolutely cannot be a fuel issue. Please help. I thought it might be a stator or rectifier issue but I don't have any charging issues.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When you uncover the tank, does it sound like air is coming in? how does he breathe? If that happens you have an obstruction in the anti-vacuum valve that is in the tank cap.
I don't think this is the problem but you can check and rule that out as a possible cause
Okay. I will check and post after. Thank you!

·
Registered
10 Posts
From what you describe, the fuel system is clogged up. The fact that right after installing new fuel pumps the bike runs fine tells you something. Besides, why did you replace the original fuel pump to begin with? There is a fuel filter at the bottom of the pump. You need to take it apart to reach it. Most likely the aftermarket ones also have a fuel filter. Clogged injectors does not affect the pump. The pressure regulator takes care of everything. You need to clean the whole system until it is spotless, otherwise, you will struggle and waste money for nothing.

·
Registered
2008 Kawasaki zx6r ninja
39 Posts
Clean the fuel pump assembly/housing!!
(search the forum the vinegar-baking soda trick I used back when I had this returning nightmare..

Check your fuel delivery pipe under the thank - ensure it hasn't been bent by resting the tank on the base where the pipe is.
I would also Check the voltage on the fuel pump when cranking and idling...
Check for rust on or near the ground connector..
Check your gas cap venting and the drainage pipe beneath the filler neck

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Clean the fuel pump assembly/housing!!
(search the forum the vinegar-baking soda trick I used back when I had this returning nightmare..

Check your fuel delivery pipe under the thank - ensure it hasn't been bent by resting the tank on the base where the pipe is.
I would also Check the voltage on the fuel pump when cranking and idling...
Check for rust on or near the ground connector..
Check your gas cap venting and the drainage pipe beneath the filler neck
Okay will do!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
New update. I left for a week and let the bike sit. I came back and got on it and it operated with no problems until the bike got hot. Once everything heated up it started to give me issues again. So this tells me it may be something electrical?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts