Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
291 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today i finally took the bike out for a joy ride (everything else has been practacal rides) - something i've noticed which really drives me nutz, and maybe this is just the nature of the beast, but - when driving over semi bumpy roads (not major bumps, just normal rougher roadways) the bike seems to jerk back and forth (kinda like a shaft drive bike does) - no matter how steady i hold the throttle, every little bump makes the bike lurch - is this normal? i am used to a cruiser, which much softer suspension, but it doesn't seem like it should be that lurchy... would that be a suspension problem?

tnx for any advice...

·
Registered
55 Posts
ive ran over some bumpy roads and i notice this only happens when i have my hand on the throttle, i let off and it doesnt happen.. it just goes to show you how sensative the throttle really is..

·
Registered
182 Posts
I agree the throttle is very sensitive. Just relax a little bit, dont be so stiff!

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
Go one or two gears higher, that way you'll still put some power to the ground, but it won't be as jumpy.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Its very possible its also your suspension. Stock suspension, if its never been touched, can be so far out of wack its not even funny. You might want to have a suspension shop in the area do a base line suspension set up for you. Have them set sag for your weight for the street, and set the rebound and compression for you. That will probably calm the bike down a lot and help with the bumps.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Bikes will lurch over bumps if compression damping is set too firm. The suspension starts compressing to absorb the bump and stops sooner than desired due to too much damping, so the whole bike now moves upward instead of just the wheels. We've got some pretty bumpy roads in PA thanks to the winters and I need to back off compression damping for local roads, but prefer firmer for the smoother roads of WV and OH (where the best twisties are). Could be too little rebound damping too, which lets the wheel/suspension extend too fast after absorbing the bump.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
Make sure your chain slack is adjusted correctly too. Mine has done that before and thats what the problem was. Too much slack.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The 03 zx6r's suspension is one of the hardest/firmest I've ever felt - and they are well know for their overly stiff suspension settings. Even if you set it up on the softest settings, that bad boy will still 'buck' like no other. I guess you could say it's happiest on smooth roads - and smooth roads only. That's one of the reasons I sold mine. If I did a lot of track days, I would have definitely kept her. My suggestion would be to take her to a shop, get the sag and suspension set up properly for your weight/height and invest in a steering damper.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Originally posted by tweakmon
Make sure your chain slack is adjusted correctly too. Mine has done that before and thats what the problem was. Too much slack.
huh? Too much slack caused your bike to lurch? That doesn't make sense to me. Having too little chain slack could cause it, cuz when your chain is too tight it limits the rear suspension, and in extreme tightness the rear suspension won't even move. But, too much? How loose was it, like jumping teeth loose?

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
It was enough to feel a 'clunk'. Perhaps not so much a lurch I guess. Kinda like when you go from engine braking to opening the throttle and the chain slack tightens up may seem familiar.

·
Registered
26 Posts
i have a ton of those roads around here! i put my hand 2/3 on the grip 1/3 on the end of bar. its nice kinda like a cruise controll

·
Registered
939 Posts
i ha the same problem on my 02. it turned out to be the battery cable came slightly loose so bumps in the road would give it a bad connection cuasing it to jerk over and over again took me months to figure out what it was.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Sounds like you probably have a combo of too much spring rate and way too little rebound damping. Does the bike "kick you in the ass" on bumps? If you go over a bump and rear comes back up quickly and boots your ass up into the air, you need more rebound damping. If it feels like you hit a brick and it slams your hands hard and butt hard but does NOT kick your butt into the air it is probably too much compression damping and spring rate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.