Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all I am new here trying to help a friend out. His 2009 650r died as we were riding. From what i was able to diagnose its not getting any fuel from the tank but will start on ether. (i know im not suppose to use it but it confirmed that it is a fuel problem) Here is what i have tried so far. Disconnect fuel pump plug under the gas tank and it does get voltage on initial turn of the key, and it also gets voltage if you try to crank it. It cranks just fine no obvious signs of anything binding. Since it starts on starting fluid it does have spark. if i disconnect a quick release fuel line from the pump and try to start nothing comes out. also i dont feel any vibrations when i put my hand on the pump and give it 12 volts. i am assuming it is the fuel pump and will swap it for another friends tank (same bike) to double check. If anyone has any other suggestions i'd really appreciate it im by far not a pro mechanic but am capable of doing the work. Is there a ecu reader that could be hooked up to check for codes?

Thanks to all in advance.

·
Registered
529 Posts
sounds like you are doing a good job. Motors needs 3 things to run, fuel/spark/air. If it runs on ether, then its obviously getting spark and air. Gotta be a fuel issue.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah i assumed the same thing, his air filter is not too bad. Also i forgot to mention as we were waiting for a tow truck (2+hrs) we managed to call a local kawi dealer and i spoke to a mechanic he said that if i disconnect the fuel line from the pump it will not pump the gas ie. fail safe gimmick. can anyone confirm that it seems strange that a hose would effect the pump like that i mean most pumps are pretty straight forward give it juice and it pumps.

·
Strat - the Asian edition
13,060 Posts
Sounds like you've got it down.

That's what I would've guessed.

·
Registered
529 Posts
yeah i assumed the same thing, his air filter is not too bad. Also i forgot to mention as we were waiting for a tow truck (2+hrs) we managed to call a local kawi dealer and i spoke to a mechanic he said that if i disconnect the fuel line from the pump it will not pump the gas ie. fail safe gimmick. can anyone confirm that it seems strange that a hose would effect the pump like that i mean most pumps are pretty straight forward give it juice and it pumps.
fuel pumps run at a high PSI, with the tube disconnected the pump would be unable to generate any sort of pressure. It seems easily conceivable to have a pressure valve in the system or some sort that prevents fuel from passing when the pressure is too low.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
fuel pumps run at a high PSI, with the tube disconnected the pump would be unable to generate any sort of pressure. It seems easily conceivable to have a pressure valve in the system or some sort that prevents fuel from passing when the pressure is too low.
but you would still feel, and hear it running if that was the case.

op, you could also try tapping on the fuel pump, as you're cranking the starter. sometime they get stuck, and the impact/shock will get them working again.
this is temporary only, for diagnoses, or to get you back home. it does mean the pump is bad.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks to all for advice tomorrow after works we'll go and haul the bike to brooklyn to do some testing on it, ill try tapping it not sure why i haven't thought of that earlier, also when i disconnected the line there wasn't any fuel in it if it was pumping there should've be some remaining in the line.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
The fuel line is self sealing. Disconnect it and the pump would be unable to push fuel through it.

Do you hear the pump winding up when you switch on the ignition? From what you've done so far, it sounds like a faulty pump. The pump receives 12V at ignition switch on and is self regulating. It shares a common ground with the injectors. 12V on the pump is useless if the ground is compromised, so run a continuity check on that as well.

Rob

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
does anyone have a wiring diagram for this bike or a link to one? There are three wires going to the pump iirc blue red and black i checked with a multimeter and two of them are getting the voltage not sure what the third one is. If it is a tip over sensor wouldnt ecu cut the power to the pump or is it what that 3rd wire is for?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Two sensors I know that can cause this because they're out of wack. The sidestand sensor and the tip over sensor. Test both.

The tip over (vehicle down) sensor is located on the swingarm, inside right in from of the rear tire. It is suspended by two rubber nipples you pull through the bolt holes.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm the friend, it's my bike.

So we trailered the bike back today and swapper tanks with another friend's 09 650R.

When we took the 2nd bike's tank off, there was still fuel in the line which leaked a little. My bike's fuel line is completely dry. So this gave us another confirmation that it's the pump.

After installing the new tank, my bike started up fine.

So... we are pretty sure it's the fuel pump. They're damn expensive. Any other guesses?

Also, what are the 2 cables that hang off the tank? They're pretty beat up and I'd like to replace them. However, I can't find them on the OEM sites.

Thanks for all your help, guys.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
oh you finally made it to your bike thread lol, by two cable he means two breather hoses which im sure we can get at any parts store. But for other riders check your hoses as his were pretty badly degraded.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
roll it into a ditch, then cover it in vegetation, then have it impounded, then go get it...because towing companies are expensive...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it doesnt matter if gas is bad its still not pumping it. plus all four of us filled up at that gas station including another 09 ninja 650r and with his tank your bike runs. therefore eliminating any doubts. That it is your fuel pump. Although why it failed could be a matter to discussion.

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
my wild guess is the Vehicle Down Sensor ... Let's wait for the update.
I was going to suggest this as well as this sensor has been known to fail...

But seems it was the fuel pump after all- glad you guys got it sorted!

Ride On!

Tony

·
Registered
142 Posts
After riding it for about 20 miles, I started smelling gas. It looks like a leak directly from the tank, as the inside of the bike is soaked in gasoline. I spent 1/5 of my tank on 8 miles. Can it be the pump (which I bought used) is leaking?

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
After riding it for about 20 miles, I started smelling gas. It looks like a leak directly from the tank, as the inside of the bike is soaked in gasoline. I spent 1/5 of my tank on 8 miles. Can it be the pump (which I bought used) is leaking?
could be. did you swap the o-ring too?
atleast make sure it was in there correctly?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts