Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i was teaching my girlfriend to ride on my old '93 ex500. We were in the parking lot with the bike only going at slow speeds and at idle when i was giving her instruction. After a while the engine cut off and wouldn't start again. When trying to start the bike, it just makes a clicking noise and the rpm on the tach jumps a bit, but the engine doesn't turn over. This has happened before where the bike wouldn't start and i would only hear the clicking noise. In the past i would just recharge the battery and it would start. But on those occassions the engine was already off and it just wouldn't start. so i figured it didn't have enough juice to start. This time the engine died while the engine was running and then wouldn't restart. Could this still be a battery problem? I always thought that the engine only needed the battery to start, but not to stay running? also, when i had a bad battery before, i don't think i ever remember seeing the tach move when trying to start it. could this be a sign of another problem? what's the next thing to look at after the battery? also, i have a battery tender that i usually use to recharge the battery. but that thing takes several hours. is there another method i could use to just jump start it quicker? i read that you can't use a car to jump start.

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Yeah you can't jump start a bike with a car, or at least its a bad idea.

Check your fuses, and if the batt died while the bike was on you could have an alternator problem.

try the bike again perhaps it overheated????

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.