Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bike feels "loose" when leaning right

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  ash 
#1 ·
Hey guys - hopefully you can help me with this problem. I've set my suspension on my '02 and the rides' perfect for me - 5'7", 155lbs. but during right hand sweepers the bike feels like it's going to break traction and slide, not immediately but it sure just doesn't make me feel as confident when I leaning low to the left.

I've set the preload, rebound and compression as equally as I can on both sides. Sorry but I don't have the exact settings available. Does anybody else have this problem? The alignmet is also fine and the bike does not wander. Any input and advice is appreciated, thanks.

BTW - maybe my suspension settings are off? What recommended setting would be appropriate for my weight?

"It's not the size of the Gun but the caliber of the Bullet that makes the biggest hole!" -SDF

#2 ·
You don't mention if this problem has only occured since you changed your settings or wether you have always had this problem!

As I professional riding instructor I hear the same problem from about 99% of the people I teach, almost everyone prefers left hand bends and the bike feels more comfortable turning left than it does right.

Although there are exceptions to every rule.

You say the alighnment is fine. How did you check it, never trust the chain adjust marks on the swing arm when checking the rear wheel alignment, if the swingarm has received a hit and been bent at any stage you may need to stagger the adjustment on the rear wheel to get the alignment right. Stringline between both wheels is as good a method as any to check the alignment.

If your suspension settings are wrong it would be the same left to right, although a dislike for left turns may be being exagerated by incorrectly adjusted suspension.....oh dear what a wicked web we weave...

Confidence and Ability should not be Confused

#3 ·
why is that? why is left hand turns always seem to feel more natural then right hand turns? I feel the same way when i'm any kind of wheels, besides a car. when i'm on rollerblades, i can turn left just fine, but turning right is a different story. is it b/c majority of the world is righty and not lefty? so does that mean lefty people feel more comfortable leaning right and uncomfortable leaning left?

Originally posted by Brian

You don't mention if this problem has only occured since you changed your settings or wether you have always had this problem!

As I professional riding instructor I hear the same problem from about 99% of the people I teach, almost everyone prefers left hand bends and the bike feels more comfortable turning left than it does right.

Although there are exceptions to every rule.

You say the alighnment is fine. How did you check it, never trust the chain adjust marks on the swing arm when checking the rear wheel alignment, if the swingarm has received a hit and been bent at any stage you may need to stagger the adjustment on the rear wheel to get the alignment right. Stringline between both wheels is as good a method as any to check the alignment.

If your suspension settings are wrong it would be the same left to right, although a dislike for left turns may be being exagerated by incorrectly adjusted suspension.....oh dear what a wicked web we weave...

#4 ·
Originally posted by linm
why is that?

Ah the question that has taunted man from the begining of time.
Maybe it depends on wether you dress to the right or to the left! But that does not explain why women suffer from the same phenomenon...... Oh well back to the drawing board.

[?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?][?].................

#5 ·
Thanks for your input Brian. Yeah, I will need to use the string method for the alignment as I am only going by the marks and how strait the bike tracks down the road.

I guess I am one of those who simply just prefers lefthanders like your students.

"It's not the size of the Gun but the caliber of the Bullet that makes the biggest hole!" -SDF

#6 ·
When I favored left turns, I found that my body position simply was not the same turning right. I finally discovered that the left heelguard on my 1997 bike is quite a bit smaller than the right, and makes for a lesser anchor point when hanging off to turn right. I have since adjusted the position of my left foot, which solved the problem.

For another few reasons for bad sides, check out superbikeschool.com.

#7 ·
Great link Rob, thanks!

#8 ·
left handers are easier becasue you are use to your bike leaning left, heck you get on the bike from the left side, it leans left when it's on it's side stand....etc....

it's a mental thing....

My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!

#9 ·
Well I think your all wrong [:eek:)]. Why do you all favour the left, because you all ride left handed roundabouts.
Its down to practice at the end of the day and being able to ride the righthanders is down to this.
How do I know ?, Because I kneedrag, and all of my practice places on the road are right handed roundabouts. The only place I can practice the left is by going the wrong way on a small roundabout on a private industrial estate and a slip road onto the Motorway (Interstate ?), This is why my left sparky has little wear on it, but I've turned the right. Other than that its the track.

Hanging off feels strange to start with which ever side you lean, because its a non natural-riding position and makes the bike very twitchy until you get used to it. Hanging off is just an extension of your riding style and skills but doesn't neccessarily make you a quicker rider btw

Ash

Live to ride, Erm Erm, Where are my Car Keys ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.