Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I need some help / info / ideas.

Theres alot of factors involved that I've put together, please see if you can help make sense.

I put on a pilot power in front and back (threw off the bt014's)
Its currently a windy season
I am getting much better at riding my bike (been on the track about 4 times now)

Now, at hight speeds, like lets say above 200KM/h, the front end starts to feel like its not making propper contact with the road, IE, the handle bars move from side to side. This only happens about 70% of the time. It only started happening a while ago, (since the PP's). ON the track my bike feel really steady, and I never have heashakes, but in town, going around turns not really even that fast, the bike feels like its see-sawing side to side with a little bit of front to back action.(does that make sense?). Like on a right turn it seesaws from front left to right back?

My ideas:

1: The PP is a 70 profile where the bridgestones were a 65 <-- it has been suggested on here that lowering the forks through the tripple tree might need to be done when a 70 profile is used?

2: The PP just plainly feels funny at high speeds? But ist a dream on the track (cause i really don't experience any contact or stability problems on the track)

3: I am just used to the super cool flat track surface?

4: Its windy season and at high speeds the wind gets at me and makes me tug on the handle bars enducing headshakes?

5: My suspension needs to be adjusted (thats what I really think), but why was the suspension not doing this with the stock tyres?

I would appreciate some thoughts in this regard.

Thanks

·
Registered
184 Posts
i would prolly say the suspension, with different tires, the suspension will be different b/c of the diff. profiles. also, try adjusting your damper. or you could have a BAD tire to begin with.. Have a reputable shop check it out,.What tire pressure are you running in the PP's? I love my PP's and have never had any trouble with them at all. I rode the hell outa my R1 with them, had the Michelin man set the pressure for track conditions and it was perfect..

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I rung the pressure at 2.1 (front) for the track and about 2.4(front) for the street. Back tyre is 1.9 (track) and 2.6 (street).

Iven with my damper on its fullest you will feel the shakes. It never used to do this it high speeds even before the damper.

Suspension (what should I adjust) rebound?

·
Registered
184 Posts
well, first if it shakes make sure the you don't white knuckle the bars, let the bars shake in your hands. it'll straighten itself out most of the time, mine shakes but i let the bars just float in my hands, no problems.

like i said, have your tire checked by a good shop, it could be bad. i'm not much into suspension so, i cant make too many suggestions on it.

·
Registered
552 Posts
My vote is start with number 4. I went from the stock 65 to a 70 diablo corsa III with no adjustments what so ever and haven't experienced any shaking on the street or track.

I've noticed that I'm much more tence on the street since I've been doing track days. I feel so out of control of my environment that I find myself tensing up without knowing it on the street now.

·
28,939 Posts
make sure your suspension is set up... if your rebound/compression isnt working together from front to back it may cause a little "pogo" action and make it feel like your unsettled. find a suitable and safe turn that the bikes isnt feeling right in and adjust the front or rear a little and ride through it again. experiment a little and see if it helps.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have a Toby damper btw, and thanks for the replies, I will think hard and clear about each one.

As for number 4. I found that easing up on the bars did make it slightly better bit its still way more than what it used to do. Funny thing is that sometomes is 100%, no shakes at all! Thats why i'm thinking wind <-- maybe or suspension combined with some uneven roads.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i would say bumpy road, your holding on too tight at high speeds, or the tires arent weighted properly. I know some shops mount tires with out balancing them.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The tyres have been balanced, and it doesn't vibrate, the steering just wiggles from side to side.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Get your sag/preload and height reset since you went with a different profile tire. This is more than likely the cause as long as the tire isn't out of balance/round. My bike was incredibly unsettled until I had the suspension set up properly.

·
Registered
857 Posts
i have a similar expeirance with my pp's on, i havn't had my suspension done professionaly or anything, and i do not have a dmaper but at very high speeds like you state the front does have a little wiggle to it...if you find a fix let me know, altho ive been to 270+ and it has givin me no problems other then a slgiht wiggle somtimes

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, this is freaky, maybe I am imagening things, but I decided to play aorund with my tyre pressure.

Used to run 2.4 front, 2.6 back (kPa)

I now evened it out and the squirmy feeling is gone!! 2.4 f and 2.4 b.
Can anyone else confirm this on their bike?

I did about 600KM/s of high speed driving this weekend and had not one instance of the steering being funny at high speeds.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.