Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just recently crashed my 01 zx6r and now i want a 636... i was wondering what the laws and such are like for buying a bike in canada and bring it back to the states..i want the green 636[8D].. thanks

·
Registered
94 Posts
There is a 2.5 % import tax.
You can buy the bike and have it shippen to you. Shipping ranged from 3-500 bucks.
When you get the bike you have to have it registered here and pay the new sales tax (varies by state)

Long story short.
1. It can be done.
2. Don't forget the currency rate.http://www.xe.com/ucc/
3. Tax
4. Their prices are way beeter than the US.
5. I almost bought my bike this way. I probaly should have.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i emailed the people at NRC Racing and they said that I would not be able to get the bike licensed here... i wanted to drive to canada, buy the bike and bring it back here.. NRC told me that many people have tried and failed.. he said the US regulations are too strict

·
Registered
36 Posts
I don't know if they are correct. Here is a post I saw a while ago from the SV650riders web page. Keep in mind it is for an SV650 and from 1999, also read the 3 links at the bottom. Hope this helps

Tips & Tricks / How to's
Everything you wanted to know about getting a Canadian SVS
Date: Sun, 31 Oct 1999
If you're willing to make some phone calls it really isn't that difficult to get a Canadian bike. Most people read what others have wrote about the experience and figure it's not worth it - but if you want the fairing it really is!
2 choices: Drive up here and get it or have it shipped.
The Dealership I called is Cycle World, they are probably the largest around here and they sell all makes and models. Contact is Norm Roessler he is the manager. They have one 2000 yellow SVS in stock but Norm said he has ordered 2 more for November, don't know which colors. We are at the end of our season here so orders are low.
All of our SV's are 49 state legal (sorry California) and have the EPS and the DOT stickers right on the frame. The only complication is the speedo so you may need to replace that with a MPH one or maybe you could just get those stickers that go right over top. Different States have different laws. Check with your State.
The easiest method for all of this is to hire a broker. The ones I spoke to said that they wouldn't even need that infamous letter from Suzuki stating the bike is 49 State legal. But they did ask about MPH conversions.
O.K. Back to Norm. Canadian Price is $8049 MSRP he sells them for $7599 plus $75 freight from Suzuki, Set-up is up to you. They can leave it in the crate or they can prep it for you for $130 so when you get it you can drive it. Total is $7804 which is $5295 U.S. You have to pay your own State tax when you go to register it. The web site is http://www.cycleworld.org/ go to sales and Norm's e-mail address is there. He is cool with being contacted by e-mail.
If you want it shipped you will need to find a transport company in your area that picks up from Toronto, Ontario - or wherever you decide to purchase from Canada. You call Norm, arrange payment, decide shipping method, he gives you the VIN # for the shipper and you're off.
That's all folks!
Read these other experiences, prices vary so shop around for a broker and transport companies.
http://userdata.acd.net/stratten/sv_import.html
http://www.inficad.com/~ecrigg/sasena/import/
http://www.rich.laflamme.net/importing.htm
Once you call a broker you'll see just how easy this is.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I recently imported an 00 gixxer from Canada a few months ago. I needed a letter from Suzuki stating that the bike complied with US EPA and DOT regulations, evern though there was a sticker on the bike already stating that. Unfortunately, Suzuki charges $400 for this letter. Then I gave that to customs along with the title and a bill of sale, and they gave me the import form. Since it was a 600 there is no import tax. Import tax is only on 700 cc's and above, or something like that. Make sure you dont get charged import tax on a 600 or 636, tell them to look it up if they give you shit. You need the bike there to confirm Vin #'s. Then you get it registered like any other bike you would buy.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
cool.. thanks for the help guys.. i will definately be making the trip to get a 636... i dont know if i'm gonna wait for the 2004's or not but either way it will be from canada.. if any of you recommend a good dealer that would be great

·
Registered
321 Posts
I work in massena NY which is 6 miles from the boarder to cornwall ontario. I just did a search on kawasaki.ca and the 636 is going for 11,399 canadian. You could probably get the bike for say 11,000 or talk him down maybe to even 10,500 that would net you a price of 7,574.66 @10,500 canadian with the exchange right now. You'd have to pay the GST and the other tax which is 15% total. now you're up to 8,710. Normally you get the tax back at customs, I know they do here. I'm not sure if there is a dollar cut off amount. But by the time its said and done you'll break even, possibly more for travel distance/shipping etc... New speedometer and all that junk arent a lot extra. Since the 636 is digital cant you just toggle between the 2? I know on my friends CBR 600RR he can. So thats already taken care of. All in all if the distance to drive isnt far I'd say go for it. The lime green 636 is bad ass looking. Plus you'll be different. Never bought any vehicles over the boarder but I know a lot of local car dealers do and sell them and make a killing. So it cant be that hard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.