Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently picked up a wrecked 00 zx6r with 5 thousand miles on it. It had been sitting for a year and didnt run. I replaced the plugs and cleaned everything on/in the carbs but the Idle mixture screws (plugs cover them? coulnd find them). The bike barley starts (I use starting fluid to help) and idle is jumpy until it gets really warm and I have to keep it over 1.5k. I rode the bike around quite a bit and it runs great over 3k. Do I need to take out the mixture screws to clean them or can I just squirt carb cleaner in the right place? If so where? If I have to take them out do i have to replace the plugs that cover them? Or is this a carb sync issue?
THanks,
Brian

01 Rc-51 - Mans bike!
00 zx-6r - restoring...

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
Could be either. I would sync the carbs anyway. The idle bleed screws are on the float bowl side of the carb. Next to float bowl, on the side nearest the head is a boss about as big as a pencil that stick down about 3/4 of an inch. There is an aluminum plug in the end. Drill a small hole in the plug and pry it out with an ice pick or an old screw. Be careful to only drill through the plug. Behind that is the bleed screw. Turn them in to find out what they were set at incase you want to put it back to stock. Then open them up at least 2 turns (factory setting) and as far as 3 1/2 turns.

Once you get the plugs out is is kinda like those matress tags. It is against the law but nobody checks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
can you post a pic of waht to drill out?

Originally posted by swjohnsey

Could be either. I would sync the carbs anyway. The idle bleed screws are on the float bowl side of the carb. Next to float bowl, on the side nearest the head is a boss about as big as a pencil that stick down about 3/4 of an inch. There is an aluminum plug in the end. Drill a small hole in the plug and pry it out with an ice pick or an old screw. Be careful to only drill through the plug. Behind that is the bleed screw. Turn them in to find out what they were set at incase you want to put it back to stock. Then open them up at least 2 turns (factory setting) and as far as 3 1/2 turns.

Once you get the plugs out is is kinda like those matress tags. It is against the law but nobody checks.

·
Registered
1,606 Posts
I should be able but I can get the @*&% Olympus digital camera to download to the computer through the USB port. You will instantly be able to find them once you get the carbs off and I don't think you can drill them without taking the carbs off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome.
They are the only four things protruding out by the float bowls, you cant miss them.
I just pulled mine out and cleaned them and put them back in 3 turns out. For the first time the bike started on its own and it idles pretty good now. I hope to sync the carbs this weekend, just in case. THanks for the help!!!

01 Rc-51 - Mans bike!
00 zx-6r - restoring...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.