Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello alllllll!

I manage a bunch of stores in malls in my area. 4 are within 25 miles of my house and 4 are about 70 miles or so from my house.

I am thinking of using the ol' 2009 ME zx6r:cool: to commute to work but I have never left it for an extended period of time in a parking lot.

I would be leaving it unattended in a mall parking lot for about 7 - 9 hours each day I work.

Do you think this is safe? Is there a certain place you would park? Do any of you leave your bike unattended at the mall?

I do have full coverage but I mean I wouldn't really be looking forward to having to do a claim because someone stole my bike. My real concern is someone seeing my ME edition 6r and kicking it over or keying it or something.:eek:

What do you guys think?:confused:

· Registered
172 Posts
When I go to the mall or shopping centers, I just park at the back of the lot as close to some type of barrier as I can (tree, sign, ditch) that way it's a little less likely to get knocked over. I've left it for 4-5 hours at a time and nothing has ever happened to it. I guess it just depends on where you live though.

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
I wouldn't trust people with 7-9 hours.

And, I have a scorpio alarm with 2 way notifications. 7-9 hours is just too long for me.
I would be more worried about people knocking my bike over and just running.

· Registered
106 Posts
Youll be fine just like jordan said. park with some object on one side of you away from the main flow of people and cars as much as you can but still visable. if your really worried you can get an alarm system for it.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I never did it because I wouldn't trust my bike outside that long. But now that I am traveling 70 miles it would be nice to take a load off my car and enjoy riding out there every now and then. I don't know :-/

I could do an alarm but I mean I have full coverage, IDK if it's worth it.

· Registered
930 Posts
I don't know if anything would actually happen or not in a parking lot that usually has alot of people around and has security camera's on it. But I would just be uncomfortable the entire time at work, I would constantly be thinking and worried about it.

I park my bike in a public lot while at work but at any time I can just look out my window and see it there so it isn't to bad.

· Registered
684 Posts
I wouldn't do it. not because it's a mall parking lot, any large public lot, that you use every day or so for work... if someone wants to steal your bike, you are making it very easy for them. yes you have full coverage, but it's still a PITA if your bike gets boosted.

a nearby city, pretty safe, a friend's 2009 zx6r was stolen out of a condo parking lot. he parked it in the same place every day (and had a chain and lock)... didn't matter, the cameras picked up a truck backing up, and guys stealing the bike.

12,887 Posts
Yeah I never did it because I wouldn't trust my bike outside that long. But now that I am traveling 70 miles it would be nice to take a load off my car and enjoy riding out there every now and then. I don't know :-/

I could do an alarm but I mean I have full coverage, IDK if it's worth it.
I think an alarm would be worth it even if it's just to stop kids or dumbass teens from trying to play pretend speed racer on your bike.

I don't know if anything would actually happen or not in a parking lot that usually has alot of people around and has security camera's on it. But I would just be uncomfortable the entire time at work, I would constantly be thinking and worried about it.

I park my bike in a public lot while at work but at any time I can just look out my window and see it there so it isn't to bad.
I'm uncomfortable when I get out of visible range of my bike.
My "blankie" is the scorpio pager which I clip to the zipper of my arm right by my hand for easy and quick access.
I leave my bike on full bitch mode where she chirps if anyone hangs around her for too long.

12,887 Posts
So then where do all you guys park your bikes when you're at school/work?
I live a 2 minute drive away from work so I just take the cage in or walk.
No sense in spending 5 minutes putting on all my gear and 5 minutes taking it all off.

· Registered
329 Posts
Comprehensive insurance.

I've owned high-priority vehicles in Jersey. If you own such a vehicle and you park at a mall in Jersey, it will virtually be gone by the time you return. No alarm in the world can stop a tow truck or two dudes in a pickup truck. It sucks filing claims, but if someone really wants your bike, they will get it.

· Registered
5,994 Posts
If you can afford it, buy a smaller bike that gets better gas mileage to park at the mall all day, and use your thief magnet for other rides. I suggest a used 250cc Kawasaki Ninja before 2008, with the older and less attractive bodywork. This lighter bike will also be more fun for urban streets.

· Registered
930 Posts
I'm uncomfortable when I get out of visible range of my bike.
My "blankie" is the scorpio pager which I clip to the zipper of my arm right by my hand for easy and quick access.
I leave my bike on full bitch mode where she chirps if anyone hangs around her for too long.
When you say hangs around for to long, what is the length of time required within the alarm's proximity for it to engage? What is the range of proximity to the bike for it to engage? How far can your pager be from the bike for it to receive the signal? What if you are inside or your bike is in a concrete basement of somekind, will it still receive signal?

The reason I ask is because I am going to be moving into a building in the next few months, and there has been alot of bike thefts from condo building parking lots (co-worker of mine got his gsx-r jacked from his own parking garage). I am extremely concerned about this situation.

Sorry to thread jack OP but it is still relevant i think

12,887 Posts
Off the top of my head, it'll chirp to warn people first.
If you don't leave within, say, 2-3 seconds, it chirps a bit more angrily.
If you still don't leave, then it starts a increasingly angry constant chirp that gets more and more intense until it becomes a full fledged cacophony of sound.

I would guess like a 3 feet distance around the perimeter sensor? So really 3 feet to the sides. You can adjust the sensitivity of the perimeter sensor.

That's with the perimeter sensor triggering though. IIRC, it goes into a full fledged alarm right from the start if the bike moves.

I'm not really sure how far the alarm goes; the scorpio website has the specs.
YMMV based upon the building you're in, how well you place the radio transmitter in the bike.
The signal doesn't hold up too well to concrete.

Either ways, you can see on the remote whether or not you have a connection to the bike. I've found that the bike sends a very powerful signal. However, the remote doesn't as much which works fine I guess. If you want to manually trigger the alarm or change the settings, stands to reason you'll be pretty close to the bike.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah it is relevant.

I'm pretty sure there are alarm systems you can monitor with your smartphone too.

I guess I'm just surprised no one here takes their bike to work or works in a mall. That was my main concern though just like you all said, not necessarily someone straight jacking my bike but someone sitting on it, scratching it, knocking it over etc. Shitty situation. My friend rides his Suzuki 500cc bike to work but that looks like dog shit compared to my ZX6r.

· What is this place?
18,511 Posts
What floor do you work on? If you looked out the window and saw someone fucking with it, what are the chances you would get there in time? I mean it's peace of mind and all that you can see it, but it's still dangerous. On he other hand most people (at least in my area) won't fuck with your shit. My buddy rides his CBR to work all he time and he works at the mall

· Registered
930 Posts
What floor do you work on? If you looked out the window and saw someone fucking with it, what are the chances you would get there in time? I mean it's peace of mind and all that you can see it, but it's still dangerous. On he other hand most people (at least in my area) won't fuck with your shit. My buddy rides his CBR to work all he time and he works at the mall
Our building is only 2 stories so I could be out front where my bike is in 10 seconds. Now, there is always the possibility that I just happen to be tied up in a meeting or not paying attention and they nab it. But I haven't had any issues as of yet *knock on wood*.

· Steve Mcqueen Wannabe!
37,014 Posts
if they want it, they will get it in about 10 seconds...If you have full insurance and a good lock you can risk it. I would buy a POS bike to go to work on personally.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.