Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you leave your bike unattended for long periods of time? Do you store your bike outside the house? If so, theft insurance is probably a good idea. I don't have it because I store my bike in the garage, and the only time I leave my bike outside alone is when I'm eating, and even then, I sit where I can watch it. A bike lock on the front or rear tire is a good idea too, but a friend of mine got on his bike one day and forgot to take the Masterlock off his front caliper. You can imagine what happened when he took off after about three feet.:D

·
Registered
303 Posts
Definite yes on the theft insurance. Bikes are so damn easy to steal so at least have comprehensive on your insurance. I'm not a big fan of disc locks for the reason TommyV mentioned and they still don't prevent someone from throwing the bike into a van and driving off. I do think everyone should have a heavy duty chain+lock to secure the bike while parked at home (or other high risk areas). I use a Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit chain to secure the bike at home and nothing else while out riding(I don't leave the bike). Buy whatever you can afford. A thief is more likely to boost an unsecured bike versus one that's strapped down with 2 or 3 $100+ chains.

-2000 ZX-6R.....

·
Registered
530 Posts
Try a Xena disc lock with alarm. If you try to drive off or if someone tries to put it in a van, the alarm will go off. It's also small enough to fit under the seat of my 636 (unlike a big chain).

The disadvantages are: 1) it's much more expensive than a typical disc lock (around $70). 2) you have to unlock it within about 3 seconds or else the alarm will go off.

As for the cost, it has already saved me once from riding off with the lock in place, so I've effectively recovered the cost. :)

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i was wondering whether it's worthwhile to get a lock and if so what kind? i was thinking of getting a lock that attaches to the rear or front brake, maybe both. also is theft insurance worthwhile? thanks

i am so moving somewhere where the riding season is longer!

·
Registered
327 Posts
I use a brake lock on the front brake, along with the tell-tale cord. People see the cord and think it's some sort of security mechanism, but it's just to stop you forgetting that you stuck the lock on ;)

Red 2002 ZX-6R 636

It's not the speed that kills, it's the sudden stop...

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
thanks, i'll definitely get some theft insurance then. a lock too cause i plan to ride to school with my bike [:I]( i have too many spare classes). other than riding to school i'm not leaving my bike alone. if it were up to me i'd put an electic current through my bike so if anyone touched it....zappo![}:)]:D

i am so moving somewhere where the riding season is longer!

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
I have Kryptonite EV disk lock, which I bought in red. It kinda matches the bike. The one I got came with three keys and also it has a small key fob with a light on it, nice touch.

I also got the reminder cable, which is coiled and it is orange. And it stretches out to about 5 feet or so.

Cailith mentioned about the same thing. I put the lock on the front and then a drape the reminder cable across the top of the bike. Most people that see it do a double take, they automatically think the cable is some sort of alarm cable and they kinda back off.

Now a thief, especially one familiar with bikes would know right away what that cable was and what the disk lock was.

Where ever I ride and park, my bike is pretty much visible from the door/window. So I don't always up the lock on. I do like to drape the reminder cable over and that keeps passerbys from getting to close.

Whaever you do, DONT FORGET TO REMOVE YOUR DISK LOCK BEFORE MOVING YOUR BIKE.

And for FYI's my lock was $29.99 USD on sale from $39.99 USD and the reminder cord was regular priced at $6.99 USD.

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but habit" - Aristotle

·
Registered
41 Posts
great answers to the Insurance from Flash, as to the bike lock, disc lock is a great investment, at 30to 50 bikes, it makes a secure statement. to eleviate the flash's friens trouble, most disc locks come with a little hip holster that fits right over the throttle, acting as a reminder to keep you from screwing up your ride.

Lane Fowler

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Does one order the 10mm pin or 5mm pin when ordering a XENA disc lock? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,694 Posts
i don't think it matters mate...the 10mm will fit through your disk brake i think
i just got a generic lock for my front, no theft insurance btw....i need one of those reminders tho

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I need a definite answer. Does one order the 10mm pin or 5mm pin when ordering a XENA disc lock? Thanks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.