Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm gettin ready to move away from Vegas. I'm borrowing a trailer that doesn't have a wheel chock on it and I'm wondering if anyone here has done that or can shoot me some tips. I've hauled bikes in the bed of a truck a few times, but never on a trailer. I was thinking of nailing two pieces of 2x4 on either side of the wheel to keep it from slipping; will this work well enough?

· That Fighter Guy
2006 Kawasaki ZZR600 street fighter
15,167 Posts
It shouldn't be too slippery, it's wood I believe. I just really don't want to the front tire to slip out in a turn or something, just being paranoid.
This is your problem ^^^^

But, it's always good to ask others before assuming and just rolling with it just to have a problem. Good luck and have a safe trip. Jesus loves you.

· Registered
186 Posts
You can do a couple pieces of wood to channel the wheel and if the trailer has a vertical rail in front of the tire you can strap the wheel to it in order to prevent it turning on you.

· Registered
2,284 Posts
Just tie it down hard. Have someone sit on the bike to compress the suspension when you tighten the ratchets. Or is your trailer bed really slippery?
Don't do this. If you compress the suspension too much your going to bust a fork seal. I tow all the time with my truck or trailer and I've never used a wheel chock. If your hauling a sportbike I would highly purchase a Canyon Dancer before towing.

· Registered
4,819 Posts
There's some great info in this thread:
http://www.kawiforums.com/two-wheeled-discussion/176389-trailer-help.html

You don't need a chock as long as you have something to stop the front wheel from moving forward, like the front of the trailer.

My personal opinion is that canyon dancers blow, but it is not a popular opinion here. I also think that any chock that isn't a Baxley is more trouble than it's worth. My buddy got his CBR wheel stuck in a Trackside brand chock over the weekend and it took 2 very heavy and strong men to get the wheel out. The Harbor Freight chocks need to be bolted down to work.

· Registered
930 Posts
When I first got my bike we trailered it home on a basic flatbed trailer like this:

We didn't have a chock so we just ratchet tied down the suspension so it wouldn't bounce around, put it up against the front of the trailer and also tied the front brake lever in to keep it engaged.

We went over quite a few bumps and had decent speed. I will admit I was a bit worried but it didn't shake, bounce or move it all. Everything went well.

· Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Awesome, thanks for the advice guys. I would get a wheel chock and put it on, but it's not my trailer and I don't want to leave too many holes in it. I'm just going to push it up to the front of the trailer, compress and tie it down, then nail 2 2x4's on either side of the front wheel and tie the brake lever. I think that should hold her.

· Registered
770 Posts
Brought mine back on a trailer.

Looped a strap around the front tire an attached it to the front of the trailer so it couldn't move backwards.

Obviously tie down the front forks.

Then i looped a strap around the back tire and tied it to the sides so it couldn't wiggle back and firth that much. Worked great.

· Registered
425 Posts
Don't do this. If you compress the suspension too much your going to bust a fork seal. I tow all the time with my truck or trailer and I've never used a wheel chock. If your hauling a sportbike I would highly purchase a Canyon Dancer before towing.
Good point, kinda. Don't compress the forks more than 50% of travel and don't have them compressed for an extended length of time. There shouldn't be a need to. Fork seals is a contentious issue but spring deformation is also to be considered

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.