Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was going to have a dinner with my family at a park and right when i pull up i shift to first and my bike shuts off. thinking i hit the engine kill switch i go to make sure i can turn it on again i turn the key and nothing happens not lights turn on or anything. so i end up walking it home about 2.5 miles. any ideas of what it could be?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Maybe it is a faulty kill switch.

Please be sure to keep us posted .

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks All... I am new to bikes and still have the warranty on it so i am going to take it in tomorrow. i did have a passenger on it but i don't think that should effect it and it was sprinkling on and off on the day.
kkim i did try with it in N and the kickstand up and i have never dropped it before so i am thinking its the pinched wiring i will keep everyone updated thanks again

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i rode it home... i took a class before i got the bike so had some idea of what i was doing but not a expert yet

·
Registered
101 Posts
ok I want to change my last theory. I was out riding today and when stopped....

I put the kill switch on , then turned the key on and and yes the instrument panel still lit up, including gas gauge reading. so It isn't your kill switch, since you have no power at all you said.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ya i didnt think so i took a look at it today and found the problem...

i did have a passanger and when he (weights about 110 at most) sat on it the back tire rubbed against the plastic edge part and rubbed it raw causing the wires to expose and they got stripped (about 3 different wires) so i got to take it in to the dealer tomorrow :(

next question you think next time a tire hugger will prevent that or just never ride with someone on the back?

·
Registered
101 Posts
What a bummer,

I have a lowered bike and it has bottomed out so I stiffend up the spring. Now it doesn't happen so much only with really extreme bumps. I keep an eye on the inner fender. Glad you found the problem. Try stiffening up your spring and keep the passengers off. Kkim is right about the hugger.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
ya now that i found out whats wrong i am just worried its not covered or going to be really expensive. ill take your word on the tire hugger its weird cause we only rode on it together twice less than a mile total. and were both skinny about 110 120.

i only bottom out on steep speed bumps or curbs so its not bad

·
Registered
101 Posts
It probably wasn't how much weight but just extra weight in the back. The inner fender should not be too expensive. Can you fix the wires your self?? splice in new pieces?
Good Luck at the dealer. Time to buy a seat cowl and keep it a single seater.

·
Registered
289 Posts
wow, i ride with a passenger all the time and i never come close to hitting the plastic. I weigh 175, and she weights 120...thats interesting...

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm sure she means 3", but lowering it 3" is just too much.
yea you're right, i dont have mine lowered at all, and im at position 3, so yea, but damn, 3 inches...do you mind telling us how tall you are?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts