Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bike was out in the rain for 2 days. I mean, is this really bad for the bike? What can happen to it if too much rain hits it?

·
Registered
393 Posts
If you were here in Hawaii, being so close to the beach and all, the disks would have probably started to rust. Besides that and maybe water spots on the plastics, nothing much. ;)

·
Registered
236 Posts
You left it in the rain!!!! It's ruined. I wouldn't ride it anymore, the bike could be dangerous now.

Nah, it's fine. The bike can stand the rain, it's not made of chocolate :D

·
Registered
7,921 Posts
I always rinse my down with clean water right after a ride, wipe it down quick with a towel and then lube the chain right away, seems to make clean up less of a hassle and i dont like rusty looking chains either.

·
Registered
802 Posts
motorcycle cover at walmart: $20 (even came with a bag)

not having to clean water spots off your bike: priceless

sorry for the cliche. oh then theres the sun fading the paint thing.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
You terrible, terrible person you! Now that the bike is ruined, I think you should sell it to me so I can rebuild it! I'll give you $1000 cash, k?

If your nice I'll even come pick it up and not make you ship it to me! ;)

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
so u got a brandnew bike and left it in the rain for 2 days? wouldn't think it'd hurt anything but why would u do that? i know it's not like a living creature lol but hell put a cover on it atleast.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Just out of my personal experience, I left my bike out for a week and it rained 4 days. I assume that this is only a problem with my bike as the seal on the gas tank was bad so the water leaked into the tank and then i could not start the bike until i drained the gas tank and then i was cranking it for a while before i got all the water out. I have heard of one more incident like this so i dont ever keep it out anymore.
Good luck

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Originally posted by GreenEnvy
bike's aren't made of sugar.
Some people leave them sitting outside year round.
indeed! come on, two days ......... [:I]

and corroded brakedisc wil be shiny again after one or two times braking ..... ;)

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Just remember to lubricate the cables, chain and any hinges/swivels once in a while and it'll all be ok.

·
Registered
927 Posts
Seriously, they didnt build these bikes with intentions of not getting wet at one point or another. Just lub up the important parts and it will be just fine.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
just a quick note on covers.

if they are water-proof (not water resistant), don't use it. moisture gets trapped under it and will rust stuff. you're better off leaving it in the rain.

don't use it in a windy place. the cover will dull the edges of the bodywork where the cover sits.

clean bike before you put it on.

DON'T start the bike with the cover on. my friend left his aprilia at another friend's house (for winter storage) with the cover on. neither one of these guys believe me that a bike is better left sitting for a winter than being run for 20 minutes. anyway, the owner of the garage would start both bikes and let them run for about 20 minutes each month. he never took the cover all the way off and ruined to headlights on my friend's factory.

when i didn't have a garage, i would rent a storage unit with a buddy. we've had four bikes in one and it was $50/month.

·
Registered
165 Posts
ya man like they all said, the main thing is to clean it up and lube everything afterwards, the rain isnt going to hurt it as long as you keep it waxed and take basic care of the bike.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.