Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok so my bike was running fine. Perfectly with no problems. I decided to paint it so I took the whole thing apart. When I put it back together it didn't run the same.

It starts and revs fine to any rpm. And 1st gear is good up to about 6 or 7k before it kinda starts to bog. Then in the other gears it bogs and makes a deeper exhaust note that is out of sync with the normal exhuast flutter(not really sure if that makes sense) It's a D&D slip on.

Here are two things that changed since it last ran before disassembly for paint:

1. I was using 89 octane gas before because for some reason I thought that's what was recommended. Then I read that it should use only premium and the tank was filled with 91 octane gas(full tank because the 89 was drained while in paint) I remember I had a 150cc scooter last year and it ran fine on 87 or 89 but bogged kinda like this if I put 91 in..

2. My friend changed the oil. He just put in regular 20w50 oil, not synthetic or motorcycle oil. I've read that this can make the clutch slip so maybe that's the jerking and bogging i'm feeling if I don't let off the gas? I'm not sure but I'll go ahead and change it again with the proper oil.

Nothing else as changed or adjusted. Could either one or a combination of both of those things caused this problem?

Any help would be appreciated

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
the oil is unlikely an issue...though 10w40 is a better choice. if the API rating circle does not say "energy conserving" in the bottom half, its fine.

so is this bog while in motion/moving...? if so, my guess is that you missed hooking up a couple hose in the front behind the upper fairing...these hooks up the back side of the ram air intake. These hoses provide the same pressue to the carbs that the RAM air effect gives to the air box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts