Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Its been a while since I have been on here. Anyway, I was riding the bike fairly regularly until December when I bought a new car (S2000). Modding it has my whole attention now.

So I didn't ride the bike from middle of December until June and it sat in my garage. It will start up just fine after a try or two but it hates to idle once hot. I dumped the old gas and the carbs are not leaking. I can drive around and it runs and pulls fine. Once I park or sit at a red light for more than 15 or so seconds it wants to die as soon as I hit the gas. If I act quickly I can get it to restart after a bit of turning over but if I wait more than a couple mins it takes until it cools down.

Do I need to insulate my fuel line? It seems to be running hot. Bike is basically stock other than k&n, ign adv, gutted smog, and exhaust.

It runs great as long as I don't stop for more than a stop sign.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I was having the hot start issue even while riding regularly. Its just amplified 10 times now.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
plugs.

wrap fuel lines with.. wtf ever you can find. make sure pump is working. if the shit doesn't work it'll simply not run.. let alone idle issues. it won't idle at all cold or hot.

tune that bitch up, drain your float bowls if you haven't done that already and prepare mentally to clean pilot jets with a strand from a 12 gauge wire in case the tune up and all doesn't pan out. make sure a mouse didn't eat some vac lines or anything while you're in there.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
plugs.

wrap fuel lines with.. wtf ever you can find. make sure pump is working. if the shit doesn't work it'll simply not run.. let alone idle issues. it won't idle at all cold or hot.

tune that bitch up, drain your float bowls if you haven't done that already and prepare mentally to clean pilot jets with a strand from a 12 gauge wire in case the tune up and all doesn't pan out. make sure a mouse didn't eat some vac lines or anything while you're in there.
thats my vote.
clogged pilots.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It doesn't seem like a carb issue. Ive had to mess with the carbs on my zx6e to many times, I really don't want to start on the 7s as they have never caused me issues and I have read horror stories. Bike has only 15k miles. Ill check the plugs and wrap the fuel lines and see whats up.

·
Powerhungry
38,189 Posts
Its been a while since I have been on here. Anyway, I was riding the bike fairly regularly until December when I bought a new car (S2000). Modding it has my whole attention now.

So I didn't ride the bike from middle of December until June and it sat in my garage. It will start up just fine after a try or two but it hates to idle once hot. I dumped the old gas and the carbs are not leaking. I can drive around and it runs and pulls fine. Once I park or sit at a red light for more than 15 or so seconds it wants to die as soon as I hit the gas. If I act quickly I can get it to restart after a bit of turning over but if I wait more than a couple mins it takes until it cools down.

Do I need to insulate my fuel line? It seems to be running hot. Bike is basically stock other than k&n, ign adv, gutted smog, and exhaust.

It runs great as long as I don't stop for more than a stop sign.
unless you drained the carbs, more than likely the jets are clogged. thats a LONG time for it to sit with fuel.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
well, sometimes if one or 2 pilots clog up you'll get that problem. it'll run like a motherfuckin rocket off the pilots.. 4000rpm and up.. will pop and afterfire a bit on decel from being lean. i still say plugs tho. probably needs them anyway. worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
4,776 Posts
Generally speaking, most problems are fuel related with the carb's bikes.

I agree with the others here. Check/replace plugs, but more than likely the tiny holes in the pilots are partially plugged...and possibly the idle circuit as well.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
full tune up and youll never be happier. id take it a step further and do a jet kit install. also, buy a sync tool and tune, idle quality and initial take offs will be greatly improved if youve never done it.

as in full tune up

carb clean (no, dont be lazy and use additives, it wont work well) take them fully apart.

spark plugs (ngk cr9ek's get my vote...dual strap plug)

oil change

fuel filter

flush fuel tank with cleaner/solvent, remove petcock and clean screen and valve

air filter/clean and oil(i like to oil the inside of the air box for added assurance)

bleed brakes

chain lube

etc, etc...

i personally wouldnt ride a bike thats sat that long without doing simple checks/ maint like that. its safer, faster and most importantly with any 7r, more dependable.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts