Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a fuel line problem that I am pretty sure is fixed. The pre bent hoses are required for proper fuel flow. I used part of the old hose with a copper coupling and it seems ok. After doing this, the bike wouldn't start so, I pulled the plugs and they wouldn't fire properly untill I cleaned them and wire brushed them. Now that the bike was running, I came to an intersection 10 mins away and the bike wouldn't get over 2000 rpm. It stalled and after a few mins was able to get it running and drive to the next lights where it stalled again... It seems it will die as soon as the rpm's get low.
After leaving the bike for a couple hours, it starts up and gets me almost home but then does it again... i wait a few and then get home.

any ideas ?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok.. update... bought new plugs... drove fine for about 10-15 mins then at a light the bike wont get over 2000 rpm.. took the plugs out and they're black !!!

I guess my carb is messed up and I have to rebuild it.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
sounds sorta like what happened when my fuel pump quit in Hockley Valley. they're prone to getting dirty contacts in the pump housing. try taking the pump out, popping the housing off and cleaning all the electrical contacts and use some di-electric grease to keep them clean. even if that doesnt turn out to be the problem, its something thats worth doing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering if anyone has any more input on what I can try next now that spring is around the corner... bike still does the same thing. It seems as though heat may have a part to play in my bikes behaviour. Are they known to die like that when they get really hot ? I mean it doesn't die but the rpm's won't get over a couple grand like it's starved for air or gas....I also don't recall the fans ever coming on and the temp gauge wasn't working...

·
Registered
35 Posts
After it dies do you check the fuel pump to see if its hot. if you cant keep you finger on the pump and its too hot it might be you fuel pump relay.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Does your bike studder when it starts to bog down?
Also does it start right back up?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.