Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I've come to the conclusion that my 01 zx6r needs a re-jet and possible balancing, it has a full muzzy titanium on it. It boggs through the entire mid range rpm section. I can go WOT in 6th gear and the bike will stay at 80 mph, then I'll shift to 4th and i can gun it up to like 130 going thru the gears. So I've got low and top end power....just no mid. This is what the rejet will fix correct?

·
Registered
939 Posts
yes a jet kit will help since you can adjust the needle hieght to richen or lean your midrange.
might also want to consider new fuel filter and plugs to.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I good idea is to get your bike dynoed and see if you can pinpoint the problem with your jets. Mine is getting done next saturday for 40 bucks for 3 pulls. It should tell me my HP, my A/F under WOT, and my torque then we are going to tune it from there.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
you can try to shim your needles before you spend $100 on a jet kit...
Ben

·
Registered
155 Posts
well if you havent rejetted the bike yet and you have the full exhaust, plug one intake hole and it will run much better. It will at least make the bike rideable. The guy before me put a full exhaust on and didnt rejet, so I plugged one hole and it makes it run richer. Not a final fix though, just till I can get the jets. Bike runs normal now.

·
Registered
939 Posts
shimming the needles isnt really the answer for a full system.
it will help to richen up the midrange.
but in reality with your full system your running lean all over and the bigger jets and adjustability of a jet kit will make your bike run the way it should

·
Registered
155 Posts
Originally posted by Chicagois2
i need instructions on plugging the hole. I can't stand the midrange not existing
Intructions......take a towel and ram into hole....or, use a styrofoam cup in the hole on the frame is you dont have ram air tubes. Or you can take your tank off and open your airbox, it has two holes, ducttape one closed so the airbox only pulls through one hole. should fix it for the time being. Nothing technical involved, white trash fix, but it works, just needs less air as your exhaust is allowing alot of flow now, just need to restrict the intake till you get new jets.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Originally posted by luxuryliquidator
shimming the needles isnt really the answer for a full system.
it will help to richen up the midrange.
but in reality with your full system your running lean all over and the bigger jets and adjustability of a jet kit will make your bike run the way it should
yeah sorry i must have been tired and missed the full system part lol, just get a jet kit, or if you are so clueless bring it to be dyno tuned, it will cost you but your bike will never run better...
Ben

·
Registered
157 Posts
If you have the stock exhaust, I'd put that back on. The only way to get the bike running right is by rejetting the carbs. This involves $$ by having a shop do it or alot of testing,tuning, and elbow grease by you. Really no way around it and by running the engine lean you could risk other engine damage. No sense in doing the job half way.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Is there not a way to hook an O2 sensor into one of the pipes so that we can monitor what the engine is doing at each of ranges (low, mid, high)???? I would think that there has to be a way to do this. Otherwise, how will you ever really know when you have the carbs dialed in??????? Seat of the pants-o-meter?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Shimming the needles will do the trick. I have an 02 ZX6R w/ a Hindle Titanium full system and my bike did the same thing. I went to Radio Shack and got .020 thick washers and installed them. In this Forum, some one had a link to a web site that provided a step by step guide w/ pictures on in. Best thing I ever did. I had guys telling me to go jet kit but I figured for $3.00 and 1/2 of time I would try it. Now, I can keep right with my buddy's 06 R6. Happy camper I am! Anyone has that link, help out and repost!

·
Registered
157 Posts
It's really impossible to make recommendations on jetting to someone since there are so many factors involved like air temp, elevation, humidity, etc. There is really no easy way around jetting a bike. You have to pay to play in this case. Either $$$ or by doing it yourself. Unfortunately the bike is probably slower than stock now.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Originally posted by bcook
Shimming the needles will do the trick. I have an 02 ZX6R w/ a Hindle Titanium full system and my bike did the same thing. I went to Radio Shack and got .020 thick washers and installed them. In this Forum, some one had a link to a web site that provided a step by step guide w/ pictures on in. Best thing I ever did. I had guys telling me to go jet kit but I figured for $3.00 and 1/2 of time I would try it. Now, I can keep right with my buddy's 06 R6. Happy camper I am! Anyone has that link, help out and repost!
I've got a full Yosh system and I'm going to try this before I decide to spend the bucks on a jet kit.

Did you just use one .020 washer per needle??

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.