Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, im new to the bike world, im into cars but this is my first time being on a bike and i purchased my 06 zzr600 about 2 weeks ago, sounded fine and everything, but over the weekend it started to sound like a wrx with uel headers, it kinda sounds like a misfire and it rides like poop, if anyone could give me information on what could be wrong with it, it would be greatly appreciated thanks guys, btw it doesnt let me post a video so i cant show you what it sounds like
Omur ?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Could be dirty carbs or plugs that need changing. Do yo know when the last time either was serviced ?

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
So you were just low on fuel ?

At least it was an easy fix.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah it was fixed, but i replaced plugsand its sputtering under load now, about 1/2throttle or after, feels like the bike only has like 20hp , under half throttle the bike sounds the way it should, i think it may be a faulty plug i bought at advanced auto

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Yeah it was fixed, but i replaced plugsand its sputtering under load now, about 1/2throttle or after, feels like the bike only has like 20hp , under half throttle the bike sounds the way it should, i think it may be a faulty plug i bought at advanced auto
Did you get NGK plugs ? If not throw those things in the trash and get NGK.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
This is the ones i got

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is the ones i got
Its not letting me post the screenshot, i got the ngk iridium ix plugs from advanced auto parts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

This is the ones i got
Its not letting me post the screenshot, i got the ngk iridium ix plugs from advanced auto parts
I think tonight im going to put my old plugs back in and see if it fixes it, i have a gut feeling i just got faulty spark plugs

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
I think tonight im going to put my old plugs back in and see if it fixes it, i have a gut feeling i just got faulty spark plugs
It's possible. Double check your plug boots and plug connectors, one might not be fully seated.

Going forward, I wouldn't bother with the iridium plugs though, you will foul the plug out on a carbed bike long before you wear the electrode out and extended electrode life is really the only reason for platinum or iridium plugs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It's possible. Double check your plug boots and plug connectors, one might not be fully seated.

Going forward, I wouldn't bother with the iridium plugs though, you will foul the plug out on a carbed bike long before you wear the electrode out and extended electrode
life is really the only reason for platinum or iridium plugs.
Sorry that sounded a little bit foreign to me, plug boot? Is that the bottom of the plug? I mean i gapped them to .30, my buddy installed them for me, he said he knows he checked the plug gap and the coils are in tight

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Sorry that sounded a little bit foreign to me, plug boot? Is that the bottom of the plug? I mean i gapped them to .30, my buddy installed them for me, he said he knows he checked the plug gap and the coils are in tight
Plug boot is the rubber end of the stick coil that engages over the spark plug. It has the contacts inside which fire the plug.

you mean .030 gap right ? .3 would be 3/10ths of a inch and a HUGE gap.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Plug boot is the rubber end of the stick coil that engages over the spark plug. It has the contacts inside which fire the plug.

you mean .030 gap right ? .3 would be 3/10ths of a inch and a HUGE gap.
Yeah sorry, .030 lol, but if it was plug wouldnt it be boggy revving up in nuetral? It revs up great in neutral, its just when im in gear that it bogs when i go full throttle, is the fuel pump screen easy to get to? I heard cleaning it might help

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Yeah sorry, .030 lol, but if it was plug wouldnt it be boggy revving up in nuetral? It revs up great in neutral, its just when im in gear that it bogs when i go full throttle, is the fuel pump screen easy to get to? I heard cleaning it might help

Maybe, but a free spinning engine can act differently than one under load.

If it was running fine before you changed the plugs I would take a good hard look at what was removed/changed during the plug install.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Put my old plugs in, still sputtering, getting an oil change, new chain and more stretch tomorrow, getting the carburetor and fuel pump/filter cleaned as well, hopefully it fixes the issue

·
Registered
3,820 Posts
Weird, I wonder if some gunk came loose in the fuel system and is now clogging one of the carbs. Strange.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts