Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I wanted to post this here before calling the dealer. Took the bike out yesterday after letting her sit for a week. When I put it in first, she kept stalling like the kickstand was still down (it wasn't). Then it did it again later in the day after a few hours of riding. THEN, on the highway after a short blast up to some decent speed, IT JUST TURNED OFF ON ME!!!! I was getting off the Parkway on my exit and had to shift back to neutral, start it up, shift into 2nd and continue the turn. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me.
Bike is a 2006, completely stock, fist service done, now has about 1600 miles on her.
Any suggestions?

Fred

·
Registered
317 Posts
May I ask what servicing has been done? If you go by the manufacturer's suggestion there should have been a service at 500 and one at 1000(give or take). So for it to have 1600 miles and the first service done... Seems like you are one short. Just curious...

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
"VipeR55 - Today : 8:44 PM

Sell her"
Thanks bro...good looking out lol.

jazzyfizzzle:
I had the major service done at 600 miles at the dealer.
That is the one they reccommended must be done in house.

Fred

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the same thing happen to me. The throttle was going in and out. At low rpm's like when you first engage into first, the bike would stall. What is was the the sensor in the kickstand was going out. A nice jolt or vibation would caust it to short. Unplug the sensor and loop the signal going to the bike to make it think the cable is still pluged in. Then ride the bike and see if it still does it.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BikerBewie:

Thanks for the advice man. I will look at it and see if I can do what you suggest.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
"brobin01 - Today : 8:46 PM

yep read the zx10r.net threads .... thats what is described to a tee before the entire clutch/tranny blows"

I did a search and found a vague reference to my problem, do you have any links that might help?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
greengoblin10r:

No aftermarket parts at all yet. Yesterday all day it was fine. But now I look behind me and make sure I have an exit route in case it dies out again.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Originally posted by VipeR55
Could be the extra 300lbs you put on the bike when riding her.
Nah, that's just me. Helps for wheelies though.
Thanks Slim.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah it's either the kick stand or it could be a sensor in the tail that cuts the engine if the bike goes down. When I had my exhaust install the sensor was loose and not bolted down. Came from the factory that way, wtf? Might want to check.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by redtail06
Yeah it's either the kick stand or it could be a sensor in the tail that cuts the engine if the bike goes down. When I had my exhaust install the sensor was loose and not bolted down. Came from the factory that way, wtf? Might want to check.
Any specifics on the tail sensor? I will check out both later this week (not going to ride her again until I look at it).

THanks man.

·
Registered
49 Posts
It's right in front of the rear compartment in the tail section. Dealer installed the exhaust. It came with the bike. It was a good deal, exhaust and labor for free. He took the tail section apart and was wiring the power commander when he pointed it out to me. It should cut the bike out if it goes sideways, if you were to drop it. I'm glad he found it. If not I would probably have some mystery cut out problem. I can't say for sure that's your problem but I would check it. The bike is under waranty, bring it back to the dealer. Have them check it!

·
Powerhungry
38,386 Posts
Originally posted by NJZX10R
Hi Guys,
I wanted to post this here before calling the dealer. Took the bike out yesterday after letting her sit for a week. When I put it in first, she kept stalling like the kickstand was still down (it wasn't). Then it did it again later in the day after a few hours of riding. THEN, on the highway after a short blast up to some decent speed, IT JUST TURNED OFF ON ME!!!! I was getting off the Parkway on my exit and had to shift back to neutral, start it up, shift into 2nd and continue the turn. Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me.
Bike is a 2006, completely stock, fist service done, now has about 1600 miles on her.
Any suggestions?

Fred
so it wouldnt restart in gear? u HAD to get to neutral first.? maybe the clutch switch acting up too....

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Originally posted by redtail06
It's right in front of the rear compartment in the tail section. Dealer installed the exhaust. It came with the bike. It was a good deal, exhaust and labor for free. He took the tail section apart and was wiring the power commander when he pointed it out to me. It should cut the bike out if it goes sideways, if you were to drop it. I'm glad he found it. If not I would probably have some mystery cut out problem. I can't say for sure that's your problem but I would check it. The bike is under waranty, bring it back to the dealer. Have them check it!
THanks for the details....I am getting closer to going back to the dealer...too many possibilities.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Originally posted by nevada

so it wouldnt restart in gear? u HAD to get to neutral first.? maybe the clutch switch acting up too....
You know what...it only will start up when in neutral. I thought I was going crazy, but it should start as long as the clutch is in, regardless of gear, right?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.