Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 zx6r with about 15000 miles. November of last yr it wouldn't run, bike would start and idle for a few seconds then die. Prior to this issue it sat outside in the rain for about a month. Where should I start.

Already eliminated these as not being the issue:
-Power Commander
-Battery
-Alternator

What else should I look at?

A little while before this happened my buddy said he smelled oil in the exhaust on start up. What could that be a sign of

I haven't adjusted the valves yet and the bike has oil in it, no coolant in oil either.
No overheating issues.

Thanks for any advice

Josh

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
smelling oil usually means valve seals IF it sat.. smelling it while it runs is rings..

sat in the rain?

drain fuel. add fresh fuel. purge injectors and lines.
change plugs, inspect plug wells for rain.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's not while it runs it's more of after it sat for a while. Any way to check if it is the valve seals for sure? Or the rings?

I'll drain the fuel and try it again. I have seafoam in the tank but maybe it's still bad. Hopefully it's something minor.

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
seafoam is just a cleaner. it wont take any water out.

can't really check seals other than looking in the ports for oil coming off the guides. or if it smokes on startup and stops.. thats the seals..

leakdown/compression checking will tell you whats up with the rings.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I appreciate the info.

I'm going to look into doing a compression test and leakdown test. Any idea where I can get the stuff to do the test from? Auto parts store?

I'll drain the fuel as soon as I can, that should be a simple task but how do I purge the injectors and line?

·
Registered
28,313 Posts
ya. .any auto parts place.. some rent you shit like that.. you get your deposit back upon return of the tool. but you can always buy it for cheap from sears or harbor freight.

as far as the fuel system purge, i would just take it apart and get the old gas out. whether using compressed air or another means.. with the injectors, i would honestly hang them off the side of the bike and crank if over a few times with the pump hooked up so as to apply pressure... making DAMN sure nothing is going to spark.. lol.. that'll clear the injectors.. but it'll also spray gas out, so.. be cautious of what you're fdoing and whats around you.

if you don't like that, then remove the injector rack and shake them shits til you get the gas out.

whats left will come out when you crank it over after reassembling.

before all that, make sure you're not coding for anything and that all your connectors are clean and corrosion-free.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok thanks

Does the PCIII only plug into the injectors? Bc all I did was unplug the injector harnesses from the pc and plug them back into the injectors, is there more I needed to do to remove it?

Thanks

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok I pulled the tank off and the fuel was definitely bad, there was some white crap that settled at the bottom that I am sure is in the fuel lines and injectors now. Any recommendation on how to take care of this? How should I make sure the tank is clean? Also is there anything I should mix in the fuel to help the start up and clean it out? I did buy some seafoam.

Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts