Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I biked was tipped over for about 3 days. When I went to start it, it would not start up at all. The bike did leaks some gas and idk what else from the bottom of the bike. So I decide to check the spark plugs and there were pretty dirty and oily, so I just wiped them of with a rag. But they seem to look pretty dark from the last time I looked at them. That was about 500 miles ago before I shimmed the needles. So my question is, is this normal looking or is it from my bike being tipped? Ill attach before and after pics. Thank You! Oh I have not put the spark plugs back in yet... Thanks!

2950 miles
Shimmed needles
Stock exhaust

Attachments

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
If my bike were laying on it's side for 3 days, I would change the oil, drain the carbs, re-prime them, and start it. Also, I can't remember if there's a tip-over sensor on this model or not...

·
Registered
50 Posts
plug looks ok.. nothin out of norm. the bike being tipped over on its side wont hurt the plugs at all. central and lateral electrode look fine. (thats the sections the spark jumps) definatly agree with cookiebug. check oil and if overfull or smells of gas change it.

·
Registered
23 Posts
After my plugs got fouled (actually... they exploded) and I replaced them, I had to push start the bike. It's possible if you are decently athletic or have some downhill to help. Have you tried giving it a running start with a popped clutch yet?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Laying on the side for three days is enough time for the oil to leak past the rings and foul the plugs. Also enough time to leak gas into the oil.

First step is an oil and filter change, then replace the sparkpligs. But before you install the new ones crank the engine over a couple of times with the ignition coils disabled and no spark plugs installed. This will wash some of the oil out of the cylinder.

Install clean plugs, make sure the airbox doesn't have oil in it. Choke the bike and try to start with a small amount of throttle.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok thank you guys. Ill change the oil and filter and get new plugs. I Have a few questions, what do you mean by re-prime the carbs? And how to crank the the engine with ignition coils disabled? Thanks!

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I've only ever primed carbs on a lawn mower. Just change the oil and filter, then crank the bike with the plugs out. You want the engine to turn over without starting. You'll want some rags available for what comes out of the spark plug holes. You want to get out as much liquid as possible before installing the plugs and starting the bike. The carb floats will fill as the bike cranks.

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
Disconnect the two small gauge wires going into the ignition coil.

·
Powerhungry
37,708 Posts
Disconnect the two small gauge wires going into the ignition coil.
yes. important.

i saw a video, where the guy flooded his dirtbike. they pulled the plugged, and kicked it over to clear the cylinder. the plug fired, and caught the whole thing on fire. they tossed it back into the creek to put it out. :lol:

·
Registered
23 Posts
May be relevant, I just pulled the carbs off my bike for the first time, just because I like to tinker and am curious. I had accidentally let all the gas drain out of the float bowls. After getting it all back together I had to try cranking it several times until they refilled.

From my reading it sounds like it can take an eternity till you get to there. It took me probably 15 minutes with 5 second bursts of attempting ignition alternating with 10 second rest periods so as to not burn the starter out.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts