Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was riding to work on the interstate and it started sputtering and died. pulled it to the side of the rode and when i could finally get it started again it only ran for a minute and died again. sounds like its only running on 3 cyl. bike had been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks before hand. anyone have coil problems on these? carb problems? bike is a 2000 zx6r. any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Originally posted by 2000teamgreen
i was riding to work on the interstate and it started sputtering and died. pulled it to the side of the rode and when i could finally get it started again it only ran for a minute and died again. sounds like its only running on 3 cyl. bike had been sitting in the garage for a couple of weeks before hand. anyone have coil problems on these? carb problems? bike is a 2000 zx6r. any tips would be appreciated.
Are the carbs heated? Droning across an Illinois interstate at this time of year would be prime conditions for causing the carbs to ice up if they haven't got the heating kit fitted?

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
check you carbs and drain the tank. since you have all that off, chek the plugs and the problem should be solved somewhere in there;)

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Yeah, fill the tank with new gas, change the spark plugs, and call us in the morning.
BC.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I dont know about carb icing as it doesnt get cold enough here where I live. But, to me, these guys seem to be on the right track.
I would drain the gas tank and replace with fresh 95+ oct fuel, also clean the carbies.
And yes check your plugs too.
Good luck.
Let us know how you go.

Corbywan

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
What is carb icing!? How cold does it have to be for this to happen, and what are the symptoms? I have ridden in 35 F weather but never had any problems. Should I look out for something while riding long distances in cold weather?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
it was quite cold that morning. probably around 20. how do you go about draining the carbs? let it run until it quits? i tried to fire it up and its been backfiring. took the tank off and put a hose in a gas can and it hasnt fired up very well. im going to check spark this week and see if all the coils are firing. any other suggestions? could you explain the carb icing more? im not familiar with it. thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
55 Posts
the gas has probably been condensating or something like that, drain yor tank and fill it up again. Next time you store it for a longer period, buy some treatment for the gas...you know ... my english really sucks sometimes[xx(] Someone who knows what I mean?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Carb icing happens in cold, damp conditions. The cold, moist air will start to form ice within the carb and will block the jets causing the bike to splutter and, worst case, stop. STP make a product which you can add to the gas which will stop it. If the problem occurs when you've got the bike in a warm garage, it's not carb icing so you'll have to look elsewhere.

If it's only been sitting three weeks, the gas should be fine. Might be worthwhile having the carbs cleaned just to make sure there's nothing blocking the jets. Not familiar with your model but most carbs have a drain screw on the bottom of the body.

In my experience, electrics are pretty reliable so I'd concentrate on the fuel system until you it's not at fault.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
thanks for the help everyone. finally got a few minutes to look at it yesterday. one of the coils was not firing properly. now i just have to find one that wont empty my wallet:(

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
my 500r did that. it need new plugs. because it was jetted wrong

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.