Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This has been the second time my bike wobbled, but this time it almost cost me my life. I was gunning down the freeway going about 95mph and I believe the freeway was little bumpy. All of the sudden my bike wobbles. It starting wobble so hard, my whole leg was being thrown off, my legs was being slapped around. I try to get a hold of the steering wheel and it was about 3 full seconds of wobbling until the bike finally catches it balance. The traffic was pretty mild. I am so lucky and thankful for. Bunch of my buddies were behind me and they believe i hit a bump. Any body else have similar problems? It seems my bike is wobbling so easy!:( I might have to consider a dampener.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
That's a good tank slapper you got yourself into.
Before you go and invest in a steering dampener, I'd recommend you adjust your bike's suspension properly for your weight and riding style. Most tank slappers are caused by badly set up suspensions.

BC.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Check that your tires are properly balanced. Unbalanced tires can induce slappers rather easily. Maybe the guy that did your tires was thinking about some of that fine snatch he had the night before.....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Originally posted by Rob Lee
Originally posted by BikerBoi
It seems my bike is wobbling so easy!:( I might have to consider a dampener.
Have you set the sag?
This is the best "mod" you can do on your bike. SEtting my bike up properly got rid of almost ALL of my wiggles and wobbles.

·
Registered
246 Posts
thats some scary stuff, especially at 95mph. you should have a good check up on your suspension, although even at the right suspension any bike can induce a tankslapper, a slight curve-high speed bump is a classic case for a slapper, so i wouldn't totally blame your bike, if that was the scenario in your case, get a steering damper like everyone else is saying to do, but most of all, if your going to go fast do it on a road your familiar with, and Wear your gear, but you already know that.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Here in Michigan we've got some shite roads - some of the worst in the land. I've never had a tank slapper on the straits here at any speed. I don't see how suspension has anything to do with straight line slappers.

Yes a properly set up bike is a lot less likely to wobble, but that happening in a straight line?

Things to do:

1. Check that the rear tire is straight in the swingarm.
2. Check that both forks are the same distance through the triple clamp.
3. Have your tire balances by someone that knows what they're doing.
4. Change your riding position on the bike, try putting your toes on the pegs and keep fulsh up against the back of the tank.

I took my bike to one of the grippiest tracks in the US the first weekend I had it and experienced not a single wobble, not even a little bit of shimmy on the stock settings. That is why I don't believe it's suspension related.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Originally posted by BikerBoi
This has been the second time my bike wobbled, but this time it almost cost me my life.
BikerBoi,

There is a bit of a difference between a wobble and a tank slapper. In a wobble, shake, or weave the bike goes in the general direction in which you steered it. In a tank slapper, the bars will violently slap the tank (or the steering stops) with little semblance of control. If your limbs were off the bike, you experienced a proper slapper. You will get the best help if you are accurate.

Also, headshake if often made worse by too much input into the bars. After you set the sag, be sure to only gently rest your hands on the clip-ons.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow, thanks for the help! It did witness a tank slapper. My bike has been stock ever since I first purchased it. I'm bringing it to the dealer to have my sag properly set.

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm sure Squidly was just jokin',I'll speak for ALL of us when I say that we are glad your not a statistic. I'm also glad to see that your willing to get back on the saddle again, that would have scared some riders too quit while there ahead, but c'mon we all know once we throw our legs up over the seat we could get trashed. [xx(] and so we learn.
So let Squidly break your balls a bit,we could look back a laugh about it while knocking over some beers with the fella's. :D can't we[?];)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.