Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A little history: my bike started running like crap, so I did a search and decided to replace the air and fuel filters (both really needed changing). While I was in there, I poured a little bit of Seafoam engine treatment into the carbs to hopefully clean them up a little (also a suggestion found via search- thanks guys!). Anyways, I put everything back together and now the bike won't start. It turns over a couple times, but then the ingnition relay (thats what I think it is- it's behind the battery, next to the fuse box) just starts clicking and the bike stops turning over. Also, when the clicking starts, the gauges reset.

I made sure that the fuel is on and there are no kinks in the fuel line. I'm pretty sure it's not the battery since it turned over fine before i took everything apart. I also checked the fuse in the relay and it's good. I didn't touch any of the electrical stuff while I was in there, so I'm pretty baffled about whats going on.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm really frustrated, b/c I can't even find out if the work I did actually solved my original problem! I'm going to go back out tomorrow and try to figure it out. The forum has been really helpful so far, and I'm looking forward to more useful suggestions! Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
It sounds like your battery needs to be charged or replaced. Your battery may have already been on it's way out and causing it to run rough in the first place.....or you hydrolocked your cylinders with Seafoam. How much did you pour in??;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I second knucklehead's reply. Charge the battery.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thans guys! I'll give it a shot today. The more I thought about it, I figured that it could be the battery b/c it has been sitting for a little while. Let's hope thats it.

Oh, and I used about 1/4 of the can of seafoam, split evenly between the 4 carbs. I didn't really use much b/c I've never actually poured anything directly into my carbs before, so I was a little nervous. I've never heard of hydrolocking before...please explain- I'm kind of a n00b at this stuff.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I believe what most poeple do when using Seafom is to take the line from the fuel filter and draw it in that way so the Seafoam goes in evenly and has a chance to be drawn through the jets to clean them out.
If you take a look at the carbs and way they mount to the head, if a person's not careful they could be pouring their additives right down into the cylinder. I figured you didn't pour gallons of Seafoam in there..lol.
Hydrolocking happens when a cylinder fills up with a liquid like coolant or even Seafoam and a liquid is not compressable so the engine would not be able to be turned over.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Don't badmouth seafoam, I poured some in my tank with some fresh 91 after my bike sat at the salvage yard for at least a year before I bought it and it fired right up.

It needs to be rejetted, but the bursts of power are nuts. Kawis are die hards, I don't care what anyone else says. Toughest of the "big four". Suzuki next, then honda then yams. Don't see too many yamaha rat/streetfighter bikes...([xx(])

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did I miss something here....lol??? No one said Seafoam was bad dude, re-read the thread. I've even used it myself with excellent results.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.