Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 06 ZZR. Recently (today)I have had problems with it starting.:( It wont start if the the clutch is engaged. It will start in neutral. But, it wont start in neutral if the clutch is engaged.

The only mods are: lowered, kickstand cut and bent, flush mount turn signals, and muzzy pipe.

Its still under warranty, but Im wondering what would cause something like this.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
748 Posts
check the kickstand switch... i've had this happen a few times and after actuating the kickstand a few times the issue goes away.
also check that the starter lockout switch connection (at the clutch lever) is properly plugged in.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by ******
check the kickstand switch... i've had this happen a few times and after actuating the kickstand a few times the issue goes away.
also check that the starter lockout switch connection (at the clutch lever) is properly plugged in.
I thought that may be the problem, (especially since I had it lowered) but that doesnt affect it. I tried to start it with the kickstand up and down. The only factor that affected whether it started was the clutch.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Mine does it too when it wants to. Im too lazy to pay for it to be fixed (it should be under warranty anyway, right?) The last week it's been ok

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all your replies. I called the shop and its still under warrenty :D but it will take 4-6 weeks to get it back [:M99] . Needless to say, Im not putting it in the shop anytime soon. As long as it will still start..im good to go

·
Registered
33 Posts
Kaoiwas is on the right track. Look under your clutch lever for two wires that go to a two-pronged switch. Either is diconnected, or the switch may be bad. I don't know kawis all that well, but most bikes are setup like that. Good luck.

·
Registered
812 Posts
Hahahah :D Welcome to the forums :DBe sure to check the racers' corner and occassionally check the humor forum. Some interesting posts there.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Originally posted by dshawnr

I thought that may be the problem, (especially since I had it lowered) but that doesnt affect it. I tried to start it with the kickstand up and down. The only factor that affected whether it started was the clutch.
Clutch switch, i had to replace mine. it's easy to do yourself if they'll give you the part. takes five minutes. in the mean time just bump it up into neutral.

·
Registered
613 Posts
It is the cluch switch. I posted a thread about this a month or so ago. When the switch gets damp it makes it so your bike will start in neutral but not with the clutch pulled in. Get some graphite and clean the switch (just under the clutch lever with a prong that pushes againsed the clutch lever)and make it move freely. If you replace it, you will have the same problem. Its just bad design. A lot of the bikes have the same flaw. Wiggle the prong to the switch and then try and start it. If that is the problem, just get some graphite to keep the plastic pieces from sticking.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by dshawnr
Thanks for all your replies. I called the shop and its still under warrenty :D but it will take 4-6 weeks to get it back [:M99] . Needless to say, Im not putting it in the shop anytime soon. As long as it will still start..im good to go
anyone catch the "4-6 weeks" thing thrown in there?

WTF???

Are they insane? Friggin stealerships.:(

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Originally posted by niko06
It is the cluch switch. I posted a thread about this a month or so ago. When the switch gets damp it makes it so your bike will start in neutral but not with the clutch pulled in. Get some graphite and clean the switch (just under the clutch lever with a prong that pushes againsed the clutch lever)and make it move freely. If you replace it, you will have the same problem. Its just bad design. A lot of the bikes have the same flaw. Wiggle the prong to the switch and then try and start it. If that is the problem, just get some graphite to keep the plastic pieces from sticking.

Cheers!
Funny you should mention damp....Yep..it started this after I got caught in the rain.

I did a search before I asked but I guess I didnt put in the right query. I went back and looked at your original post on the topic...really good info in there... sorry for the repeat question!

·
Registered
812 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos

anyone catch the "4-6 weeks" thing thrown in there?

WTF???

Are they insane? Friggin stealerships.:(
That's because they don't give a damn about you. Since it's under warranty, they won't get paid, so why bother!

·
Registered
613 Posts
No prob at all. Hope that helps you out! 6 weeks with no riding is just not acceptable [8D]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.