Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
HI all... i just recently picked up a 97 ZX-7R. The bike has 6500 miles on it and was crashed in the front end. I replaced the steering stem beacause that is all that seemed broken. Bike obviously ran before the accident but that was two years ago.
I replaced the Gas with fresh 93 before starting it.
The problem I'm having is that the bike cranks HARD, but just won't start. I think I have gas, its coming out of an overflow??? on the top of the motor, im not sure exactly what that piece does though.
I have spark... checked with a spark tester, and theres no reason i shouldn't have compression, bike ran fine before the accident, no engine components were damaged.

My thoughts are that the jets in the carbs are stuck.... not allowing gas into where it should go. I orignally thought I had flooded out the cylinders, so i pulled all the plugs and free wheeled the motor.... gas only came out of the number 1 cylinder.

Thats all I can think of, anyone else have opinions? How hard is it to remove the carb assembly on these bikes?
THanks,
Gregg

·
Registered
133 Posts
Old gas has turned to varnish and lacquer clogging jets and orfices. Clean out with carb cleaner, toothbrush, and some tiny pieces of wire or solder. Do not damage the bores of the jets or you'll need to buy new ones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
took carb off, cleaned up the jets with carb cleaner, sprayed carb cleaner all throughout the carbs. Buttoned everything up, and now the bike sounds a little better, and almost sounded like it was about to run when i was cranking it... but it didn't turn over. I don't know what else to check...

·
Registered
133 Posts
Simply spraying carb cleaner will not unplug the jets. You will have to physically poke the gunked up old gas/laquer out of the very tiny (read pinhole) thru the main jet, and the idle jet. It'd be a good idea to remove everything inside of the float bowls at this point and soak it all in carb cleaner....after tha, change plugs...make sure gap is correct.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.