Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just moved to Indiana from Montana. I pull the bikes off the trailer where they sit for a day and wife wants to go for a ride. Her 05 6R does not start. It cranks, but will not fire. Battery checks out fine and fully charges with my battery tender. Anyone have any ideas? I am going to check the plugs and whatnot, but I do not expect to find anything. Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

-Kimball

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bikes can get difficult to start in cold weather...I would try spraying some starter spray in the throttle body to give it a little more starting power...that should help you get them started...I would also put your bikes in a semi warm place...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by LiquidRacer
Bikes can get difficult to start in cold weather...I would try spraying some starter spray in the throttle body to give it a little more starting power...that should help you get them started...I would also put your bikes in a semi warm place...
I appreciate the info, but it isn't even remotely cold, lol. Only the kawi wont start, my bike is fine. I rode the kawi all through the winter last year up in montana and it never had any problems, all the way into the single digits. it is still 50+ here in indiana lately.

I guess I did forget to shate a little info. The bike started the first attempt, but the electronics were flickering and it died as soon as she hit the gas. After that it has been dead. I can't think of a reason that would cause both of those symptoms other that the battery was low and fuel pumps being out. Then I charged the battery back up and only the pumps are giving a problem at the moment. Not really sure.

-Kimball

·
Registered
759 Posts
Try cranking with with the throttle held wide open. Make sure you have a fully charged battery first. Do not release the throttle between cranking attempts. My 2005 636 did that twice this summer and the WO throttle was what got it started. My theory is that if the bike shuts off before hitting operating tempature, the ECU can get confused and not do the right thing the next time you try to start it.

If/when it starts, you'll need to maintain a fast idle (2500 RPM or so) manually to keep it from stalling. Once warmed up, it should be fine and act totally normal. Frustrating...

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It only manages about 3-500 rpms on full throttle crank. I will definitely try some of that again. Also, how long can you continue a single crank? I just start feeling bad about it after i get close to ten seconds, lol.

-Kimball

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok, went out and messed with it some. I have ZERO rpms registering when I try and start, and that is even with WOT. Battery has full charge. Whatever is going on it seams to be deteriorating.

-Kimball

·
Registered
759 Posts
Originally posted by ZbornacSVT
It only manages about 3-500 rpms on full throttle crank. I will definitely try some of that again. Also, how long can you continue a single crank? I just start feeling bad about it after i get close to ten seconds, lol.
I only did maybe 5 seconds at a shot. Waited a few seconds (still with the throttle open) and tried again. Took more than a few tries. I bet I tried at least a dozen cranking attempts or more, then put it back on the battery tender until fully charged, then tried again. Took me 1.5 hours last time to get it started. Then it ran fine for a nearly 400 mile day of twisties. Weird.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.