Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 06 636 and when i went to start it after work today it idled for about a minute and then just shut off. I started it a couple more times and it did the same thing. So i rode it home and every time i pulled the clutch in it would shut off again. This happened to me once before and i just messed around with the idle knob and it was fine until today. I put on a yoshi rs5 about a week ago but had no problems until today, dont know if that had anything to do with it. Anyone have any ideas on what to do?

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Sounds like the idle speed is set too low. Makes sense on a "cold" start ECU makes the idle speed a little higher to compensate for the "cold" condition. After warm up...drops back to its normal range,(1300 rpm +/- 50rpm. Service manual states to let engine warm up before checking/setting. May just be out of adjustment again.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it idles at about 1300 and then after about 45 seconds or so it starts going dropping and then shuts off at about 1000

·
Registered
550 Posts
Originally posted by Svenny 636
it idles at about 1300 and then after about 45 seconds or so it starts going dropping and then shuts off at about 1000
That means it's set too low. On cold start it should be around 1500-1600, then drop to the 1200-1300 range once it's warmed up.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
I would run the idle up and give it a try. Run it high....then dial it back to 1300 after a min or two. If that's it, look at the adjuster and see why it's backing out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks,i will try that. This is a really dumb question but i just went out and put the charger on my battery to see if that had anything to do with it and its at about 3 amps, what should a normal battery be at?

·
Registered
393 Posts
Did you put on a full system with a PCIII? You could be having FI trouble. I doubt it's the battery since this is the first time its happening after you put on your system. I'm not familiar with the amps a battery should be putting out, but you should also check your regulator to see if its charging the battery.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alright so i just messed up real bad, i went out to try and adjust the idle and when i was twisting it nothing was happening so i kept twisting until the whole thing fell out, and know i have know idea where it goes.

·
Premium Member
657 Posts
Here's where it goes. Looks like you have to pull, or at least prop up tank to get to it. Very slim chance you can get to it by removing the left mid fairing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for all your help tonite. Just one more question will it hurt my bike to ride without it? im in the middle of putting a new clutch in my car and my bike is my only other way of getting to work.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Originally posted by Svenny 636
Alright so i just messed up real bad, i went out to try and adjust the idle and when i was twisting it nothing was happening so i kept twisting until the whole thing fell out, and know i have know idea where it goes.
Dude.. lmfao... Sell your bike and get adog to walk. Just make sure not to chew gum.[8D]

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
All the idle does is tighten or loosen the throttle cable.,

As best i can figure not having the idle in will just make it difficult to ride, but not dangerous to your bike and its opperations.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.