Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my dad was done bailing straw today he was driving back to the farm, and behind him is a car, and behind the car is a guy on a Honda sportbike. They come up to a fairly busy state highway intersection, my dad crosses, the car behind turns, and the biker crosses and is now behind my dad. Off to the right just past the intersection is a softball diamond, and there is beer league softball going on. This guy decides he wants to be a badass and showoff to all the people at the diamond, so he decides to do a wheelie. He pulls the front end up, screams up on the tail end of the big blue Ford tractor my dad is driving (tractor has full cab, not easy to miss when it's in front of you), decides he better do something or he'll be eating blue steel, so he sets the front end down and slams on the brake. I'm sure he had plenty of time to stop, with the stopping power of the front brake and all, but no, the idiot uses the rear brake, skids about 30 feet, then ditches the bike, which slides another 80 feet or so and slams into the rear end of the tractor. The guy himself slides facefirst, with his hands out (not sure how far he slid). He tore all the skin off both hands and up half his lower arm and also scraped up his shoulder. You could say at least the guy had a helmet, except for the fact that the helmet was LOCKED ON THE SIDE OF THE BIKE. What a moron. No protective gear, helmet on his bike instead of his head, and doing wheelies in traffic. Sounds to me like the brain cells never fully developed. At least his head was intact since he was able to keep it off the pavement (not that it would've done much damage to this idiot's undeveloped brain anyway). His excuse: sorry officer, I didn't see the enourmous bright blue Ford tractor in front of me, even though I'd been following it for a few miles. Brilliant.

Today's lesson:
Besides wear your gear (which is a personal choice), DON'T do wheelies in traffic, and yes, farm equipment does count as traffic, especially when it's on the road in front of you...

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
what an idiot... so what did it end up doing to the tractor... hope your dad is alright, but in the big thing i wouldnt see why he isnt...

·
Registered
315 Posts
oh i see what the problem is here, it was a bright BLUE tractor if it was a red one he might have seen it ;) sucks for him that he pulled a wheelie without gloves, helmet and jacket at least

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by 02 z_x_6_r
what an idiot... so what did it end up doing to the tractor... hope your dad is alright, but in the big thing i wouldnt see why he isnt...
My dad was fine, and so was the tractor :D. When the bike hit the tractor all it did was destroy the front end of the bike and punch a nice big hole in its radiator, but didn't do squat to the tractor.

So what exactly is this latest fad going around where people ride with their helmets locked to the side of their bike instead of wearing them on their heads? I see A LOT of sportbike riders doing it around here. Is it supposed to look cool? Is it supposed to make them look tough? Personally I think it's the ultimate statement of how incredibly unintelligent the person is, but that's just me...

·
Registered
748 Posts
it may have something to do with your states laws. some states don't require you to wear a helmet, but you have to have one available on the bike (i.e. connecticut and delaware). here in florida, anyone under 21 must wear a helmet, so some folks carry a helmet for the eventual passenger under that age. also, some of the boyz here will wear a helmet out on the hiway, but take it off to cruise the beach/city.

btw... around here, i see this more with the 'cruisers and tour bikes' than with the sportbike crowd.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
hey JTZX, how's the weather supposed to be up there this weekend? i'm heading up for osh kosh and have been debating making the ride, but don't know if there's any promising areas to ride at.

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I bet that hurt...alot. He deserves every bit of it. No gear or helmet, geez, what a moron.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by ******
it may have something to do with your states laws. some states don't require you to wear a helmet, but you have to have one available on the bike (i.e. connecticut and delaware). here in florida, anyone under 21 must wear a helmet, so some folks carry a helmet for the eventual passenger under that age. also, some of the boyz here will wear a helmet out on the hiway, but take it off to cruise the beach/city.

btw... around here, i see this more with the 'cruisers and tour bikes' than with the sportbike crowd.
Here state law only requires eye protection, helmet isn't required (unless you're riding with a temp license or for passengers under 16) and you don't have to have one available. As for carrying one for the eventual passenger, the wierdest thing about that is I've seen quite a few of these guys riding with passengers and the helmet still locked to the side of their bike. I just don't get that...

Originally posted by crjbeez
hey JTZX, how's the weather supposed to be up there this weekend? i'm heading up for osh kosh and have been debating making the ride, but don't know if there's any promising areas to ride at.
As far as I know the weather here is supposed to be awesome for the EAA air show weekend (mid to high 70's and no rain), but that could change. Most of the week is expected to be scattered or isolated storms, but they have been infrequent lately, and when we do get them, they're very short-lived. I would check The Weather Channel's website before you're ready to make your trip just to make sure something doesn't change.

·
Got lime? I do
16,736 Posts
Originally posted by JTZX

My dad was fine, and so was the tractor :D. When the bike hit the tractor all it did was destroy the front end of the bike and punch a nice big hole in its radiator, but didn't do squat to the tractor.

So what exactly is this latest fad going around where people ride with their helmets locked to the side of their bike instead of wearing them on their heads? I see A LOT of sportbike riders doing it around here. Is it supposed to look cool? Is it supposed to make them look tough? Personally I think it's the ultimate statement of how incredibly unintelligent the person is, but that's just me...
some of the squids round here carry a helmet on the bike incase they pick up a girl thats under 21 and needs the helmet or any girl that wants to wear a helmet.

·
Registered
48 Posts
what a great post! rear ending a big ass tractor is kinda like rear ending a big ass semi truck with a trailer, and I know all of you when you ride are always getting ut of the ways or staying the hell away from big ass trucks. an extremely squidly maneuver almost cost this rider his life, I hope he knows it, secondly I'm glad know got killed or seriously for both your dad and the rider!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Too damn funny, sort of like that guy on all the video sites doing a wheelie behind his buddy in car with video camera, no gear goes down as he hits the car and they show his idiot rash in the hospital, I think his name was Ryan. Maybe this was his cousin:D

Good the PTO wasn't engaged, could have been an irrigated biker:D

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
hahaha thats wisconsin for ya. around here, theres this one moron a few years younger than me that NEVER wears a helmet. but otherwise most do...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.