Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone here ever clip a bird with their bike? I've noticed that when I'm really dipping in the country sometimes birds are a little stunned and start to flutter towards you instead of up and away.

I've come close to clipping a bird at 120mph+ almost a dozen times.

Granted I've never actually made contact, but I'm wondering if I did how bad the damage would be.

So, anyone ever get so unlucky to hit a bird head on?

·
Premium Member
2,888 Posts
Come close. Never hit one. I did hit a bat one night. no issue.

·
Powerhungry
37,707 Posts
Anyone here ever clip a bird with their bike? I've noticed that when I'm really dipping in the country sometimes birds are a little stunned and start to flutter towards you instead of up and away.

I've come close to clipping a bird at 120mph+ almost a dozen times.

Granted I've never actually made contact, but I'm wondering if I did how bad the damage would be.

So, anyone ever get so unlucky to hit a bird head on?
at that speed, it will fuck you up.

it will be like getting hit with a MLB fastball.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
at that speed, it will fuck you up.

it will be like getting hit with a MLB fastball.
Not so worried about myself getting hit directly but what would happen if my front end smashed into a bird at that speed.

Obviously the front would be messed up depending where it hit, but would you go down?

I hit a bird doing 80-90mph on a snowmobile once and it just bounced off the plastic and didn't phase me much. But, I'd think on a sportbike your front end would get loose or soemthing.

·
Premium Member
3,828 Posts
Not so worried about myself getting hit directly but what would happen if my front end smashed into a bird at that speed.

Obviously the front would be messed up depending where it hit, but would you go down?

I hit a bird doing 80-90mph on a snowmobile once and it just bounced off the plastic and didn't phase me much. But, I'd think on a sportbike your front end would get loose or soemthing.
I doubt it, I have seen people hit deer at 80 mph and not gone down.

Although I saw a bird flying next to me the other day, I felt like a boat being followed by bottle neck dolphins

·
Pursebully
37,566 Posts
Yep. I hit a sparrow on my 10R rolling at about 80. It hit at the leading edge (bottom) of the windscreen and exploded....feathers everywhere. By the time I got home to wash it off, the blood/guts were crusted up pretty good. Took a while to clean off, but there was no damage.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Depends on the size of the bird. I knew a guy who hit an eagle (yes, a frigging eagle) with an SUV going 100. It broke the windshield.

·
Official n00b
17,457 Posts
I hit a bird on my way to college one day. I was doing about 85mph and saw something fly towards me out of the corner of my eye. It felt like someone whipped a baseball at me... my shoulder was sore for a few days. Fun stuff cleaning all the feathers off my jacket.

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Screw the birds lol

I hit one of those big black birds with a sportster once doing about 60mph and didn't feel it but it hi the bike not me.

I would think anything roughly the size of a pidgin or smaller wouldn't hurt a sport bike at highway speeds. Something like a robin probably wouldn't hurt the bike at 130mph as long as it didn't hit beak first and scratch the paint.

Now a pheasant or god forbid a turkey or something might mess you up pretty good.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I've been hit by two. One tried to go through my front wheel which didn't work the other hit me right in my chest. Not very much blood which was good

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I have hit 2 birds (or they flew into me)- each time they hit my leg and they probably died. Birds usually do not have the instinct to avoid a vehicle going 50 mph plus, except maybe in Africa where some of the bigger cats can run 70 mph.

The little bird did not hurt me much at all. With the turkey vulture my leg felt broke at first, but it was only a bruise. My bike swerved several feet but stayed on the road. I was glad I had on knee and shin armor- the bruise was in between the two pieces of armor. I have since switched to 1-piece knee and shin armor.

One time a house cat tried to run across the road and hit one of my footpegs, probably breaking their neck. I kept going, not wanting to take the chance of getting close to a very upset cat owner, if they saw the accident or the cat lying in the road soon after.

One time in Illinois a dog hit my car bumper, and afterwards kept on running into a corn field.

Hitting a moose is often the worst, because their eyes do not glow in the dark and their hair is close to black so they blend in more at night, and they can weigh as much as 3 or 4 big men. Here is a dash cam from a Russian car, with crappy music in the background:
-
-
-
-

·
Registered
172 Posts
My brother actually hit one that flew in threw the front wheel and got stuck between the exhaust and his fairing. He didn't know it got stuck and finished his ride and it got fried and burned all over the exhaust. Was a bitch to clean.

·
Premium Member
15,223 Posts
You must have some tiny moose in KY.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Hitting a moose is often the worst, because their eyes do not glow in the dark and their hair is close to black so they blend in more at night, and they can weigh as much as 3 or 4 big men. Here is a dash cam from a Russian car, with crappy music in the background...
I wonder if that sign next to the car after he stopped said "Caution, Moose Crossing"!? Hehe

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hit two and both were sparrows. One hit the side of my helmet on the highway. People in the car behind me were laughing because the bird just blew up. I didn't feel much on that one. The other one I was going down a county highway and it nailed me right in the shoulder head on. That one hurt quite a bit.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts