Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
this is NOT good!................

"to institute a tax on mileage", "and they can be used to issue driving citations after the fact in the case of speeding or not wearing a seat belt."

.."policies currently underway by many municipalities and states show that public safety personnel are now being used more as revenue collectors than as first responders to incidents as they occur."

· Registered
202 Posts
i believe it. i got a speeding ticket in the mail the other day, some speed trap thing in sioux city, IA clocked me speeding and took a pic of my plate. so i got a ticket for speeding. I've heard on things like that though that people are fighting it in court and saying they they are ticketing the vehicle and not the driver? :dunno:

· Strat - the Asian edition
12,887 Posts
All I have to say is that the proposed tax based on mileage driven is the most retarded thing ever.

In theory, it's a nice idea; you pay for your fair share of what you use (the road).
However, successfully executing such a plan is a logistical nightmare.

Let's just imagine for an instance that we live in an honest world where people won't try to get the mileage driven to read differently.
Everything malfunctions and you're going to have units that will say you drove a million miles in a year or drove none when you drove 100 miles a day.

Now that we're back in the real world, you know that people are going to try and get the box to read as though you drove less than you did. This means you need to set up a police force to investigate fraud, etc.

Also, if you're taking your bike on a track or private road, should the box not stop measuring those miles? How do you guard against that.

On top of that, now that I'm paying for my road usage, in all fairness, I should expect a tax break for however much of my taxes was funding the highway initiatives.

All this because some idiot politicians live in la-la land.

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
All I have to say is that the proposed tax based on mileage driven is the most retarded thing ever.

In theory, it's a nice idea; you pay for your fair share of what you use (the road).
However, successfully executing such a plan is a logistical nightmare.

Let's just imagine for an instance that we live in an honest world where people won't try to get the mileage driven to read differently.
Everything malfunctions and you're going to have units that will say you drove a million miles in a year or drove none when you drove 100 miles a day.

Now that we're back in the real world, you know that people are going to try and get the box to read as though you drove less than you did. This means you need to set up a police force to investigate fraud, etc.

Also, if you're taking your bike on a track or private road, should the box not stop measuring those miles? How do you guard against that.

On top of that, now that I'm paying for my road usage, in all fairness, I should expect a tax break for however much of my taxes was funding the highway initiatives.

All this because some idiot politicians live in la-la land.
well, we ALREADY have a gas tax in place for exactly that. its a PER USE tax. you cant drive without fuel.

maybe its the push for more econimical vehicles, and hybrids? they arent making as much?

· Registered
1,203 Posts
i call bull shit.

i would think that it would be all over the news if this was really happening this month, and it would be well known by the public. i tried looking it up, and there were only a few articles about this

12,887 Posts
well, we ALREADY have a gas tax in place for exactly that. its a PER USE tax. you cant drive without fuel.

maybe its the push for more econimical vehicles, and hybrids? they arent making as much?
That's a good point and a gas tax encourages more efficient vehicles since it's taxed by the gallon and not mile.

It could very well be that but by that measure, the most effective and simplest way to raise more revenue is to raise registration rates. Include as part of the registration costs a flat road tax. That way you don't have to setup a whole new IRS except for miles driven.

12,887 Posts

· Registered
3,843 Posts

That's actually true. I work for TX Transportation Institute which handles research world wide for everything transportation (from sidewalks to international air planes).

Since the economy has had the down turn and gas prices have risen, people are driving more economical vehicles AND driving less. So yeah, it's hurting where we get funds to do road maintenance and such.
-Cody

12,887 Posts
15% of shit isnt shit...you have no idea how good I dont have it
Factor in cost of living in New York and I'm sure you'll find that I probably make the same amount you do. That is unless you work for minimum wage.

· Registered
2,378 Posts
This would be a double tax. We pay taxes for the road evey year, for the fuel every fill up, for the vehicle when we bought it and a lot of us pay tolls to use roads already. There is no way they could constitutionally do this. With that said, democrats are like communists in that they will do whatever it takes to get our money from us.

Sent from my DROIDX using Motorcycle App

· Powerhungry
39,294 Posts
This would be a double tax. We pay taxes for the road evey year, for the fuel every fill up, for the vehicle when we bought it and a lot of us pay tolls to use roads already. There is no way they could constitutionally do this. With that said, democrats are like communists in that they will do whatever it takes to get our money from us.

i agree. BUT, theyre doing it in washington state right now.
i pay a gas tax, and vehicle license fees that allows me access to FS, DNR, and BLM lands. that money goes(is supposed to go) into a special fund, specifically for parks, and such. well, the state mismanaged their money and were broke. so they moved the however many millions dollars from that fund, into the general fund. in essence robbing it.
and are NOW implenting another vehicle use pass that we have to buy/display to use those lands.
but they arent crediting, or returing the OTHER fees we're(still) paying.

· Registered
112 Posts
Let me let you all in on a little secret they have been in your cars for years. They are called air bag data recorders, they are constantly capturing a range of sensor inputs and store the last 5 seconds of them before the airbag went off. Things like TPS, brake activation, seatbelts.

This law does 2 things, standardizes the interface and standardizes the data collected. There is no wireless, no taxes nothing of the sort. It just makes it easy so that people who need to download this data, police, insurance, accedent investigors only have to have one tool to download data. Right now they have to have one for chevys 96-2000, 01-05,06-09 etc and thats just chevy not even talking about ford, toyota and the rest.

Here is how most senarios play out now. Driver A runs a red light and hits driver B and both cars airbags deploy. Assuming no one is hurt then insureance companies will buy both vehicals back. Since they then own both vehicals they will download the data and assign who's insureance will pay. Now if there are injuries or the police want to issue tickets or you want to fight your ticket the police will get a warrent for the data and then they will go to the junk yard, autobody repair place or show up at your house with the warrent and download the data. This will not change at all.

· Registered
1,764 Posts

Yeah...you know, because the Republicans never raise taxes or do things to cheat people...both parties suck, get over it.

Anywho, back on topic, I have been hearing about these for years. In certain areas, I agree with them. But, I think the data should require at least subpoena unless it is from a serious or fatal accident. What would be good is if the NHTSB (is that the right initials?) could use the data in an anonymous fashion to compile better data about wrecks.

As for taxing by mile driven, ludacris! I mean, how do you know WHERE I drove those miles? Between permenant/secondary residency, commuting, and the fact that different agencies control different roads, you have no clue where the money should really go.

· Registered
3,843 Posts
Actually, yea, they probably could constitutionally do this...and something has got to give because the taxes received for road work is currently less than the amount spent on maintaining roads. Something has to give.

There are, of course, issues like people messing with it, driving on personal roads / tracks...etc.
-Cody

12,887 Posts

· Registered
3,742 Posts
Your already paying to drive on the road more then once.

Tax on gas
Tabs (registration)
Toll roads if you have them

ect.. btw NOTHING is taxed just once.. everything is at least double taxed.. although usually its taxed 4 times at the least. If you really sat down and did the math on how many time a dollar is taxed you'd shit.

Im not to concerned about the mileage thing myself, I dont see it happening for one and even if something did.. I'll just take the speedometer off the suzuki, or unpug the ZX6R's speed sensor.

· Premium Member
15,847 Posts
Your already paying to drive on the road more then once.

Tax on gas
Tabs (registration)
Toll roads if you have them

ect.. btw NOTHING is taxed just once.. everything is at least double taxed.. although usually its taxed 4 times at the least. If you really sat down and did the math on how many time a dollar is taxed you'd shit.

Im not to concerned about the mileage thing myself, I dont see it happening for one and even if something did.. I'll just take the speedometer off the suzuki, or unpug the ZX6R's speed sensor.
Maybe the Speedohealer can be adjusted to read like 0 MPH when you're going 70 MPH so that your mileage is less too?

;)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.