Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just posted this up on the MCNNinjas site and I thought I would share it here :D

I have found that by back bleeding from the nipple up into the reservoir (filling the syringe with fluid), is a very effective way of shifting the air as you are forcing it up with gravity from the caliper.

1)dig out the brake pads (remember which side of the caliper they came from)and clean the pistons with thin strips of an old T-shirt and a can of brake cleaner (this stops dirt from being driven into the seals).
2) stick them back in and drive the pistons home in both calipers (the inside of the caliper towards the centre of the wheel first). Watch out for fluid overflowing from the reservoir, you can draw it off with a second syringe. This does 2 things, being that it forces any air from the caliper pathways into the brake lines and also when you bleed the system with new fluid, means that you are also filling the calipers with new as well.
3) get the syringe with a length of pipe which fits the syringe and the bleed nipple and fill it with new fluid. expel the air (doctor stylee) from the syringe and pipe and attach it to the left hand caliper (the reason being that the right hand side goes through a double banjo bolt along with the line from the master cylinder and it will drive any trapped air across the splitter up to the reservoir.
Crack open the nipple and inject the fluid. It will blow bubbles in the reservoir and change colour when the new fluid emerges.
4)when you are happy that the air is out, close the bleed nipple, fill the syringe and repeat the procedure with the other side.

Once this is complete, close the nipple and pump the calipers back up. Be careful to avoid any spillage and make sure the level in the reservoir doesnt drop to low when your re-priming the calipers. The second syringe is useful to draw off any excess (old) fluid from the reservoir in this process, but I found that it was surprisingly frugal with the fluid.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.