Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,728 Posts
matched engine speed to tire speed...

makes downshifting smoother so you dont run the risk of locking your rear under heavy engine braking....


I also think it's slightly easier on the bike...


My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,387 Posts
Everyone should blip while downshifting. It just makes shifting so much smoother.

NYC potholes SUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
but what you're trying to slow down (and maybe even trying to come to a comeplete stop)? also does'nt rev matching eliminate the need for engine breaking and not "make it smoother"? or should they both be used in tandem?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by JimmyG

but what you're trying to slow down (and maybe even trying to come to a comeplete stop)? also does'nt rev matching eliminate the need for engine breaking and not "make it smoother"? or should they both be used in tandem?
Use brakes and not the engine to stop or slow down your bike.

I use engine braking without brakes only when I need to adjust speed slightly in a series of corners or when my riding pace is so sedate that I don't need to downshift when cornering.

------------------------
7,62mm. One size fits all.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,387 Posts
grab the front brake with your three outer fingers and blip with the index and thumb. Also, unless you are throttling with your foot, your back brake might help;)
Bliping is not to stop. It's just to slow you down or to get into the right gear when cornering.

NYC potholes SUCK!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,186 Posts
Originally posted by rdandy5875

I have the hardest time accurately blipping the throttle WHILE braking.
If you use two fingers when braking and your brake lever is correctly adjusted, you should be able to "slide" your fingers over the brake lever while blipping the throttle. Just try to keep the braking pressure consistent while blipping throttle.

Just keep practising, and before you know it, it will come naturally. Then you just need some really LOUD pipes so everyone can hear your perfectly executed throttle blips when you come to a stop light ;)

------------------------
7,62mm. One size fits all.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
315 Posts
watch the pros do it in wsb or motogp. lightning fast. im getting pretty good at it now. i use 2 fingers on both sides and that makes it faster when im really carvin hard and i dont want my revs below 9k. keep practicing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
Originally posted by Andy_7676

matched engine speed to tire speed...

makes downshifting smoother so you dont run the risk of locking your rear under heavy engine braking....


I also think it's slightly easier on the bike...


My Drinking Team Has a Racing Problem!
the new RR has a slipper clutch which doesnt allow the rear to lock up & hop while down shifting.:D

"TEARS will get you sympathy,
SWEAT will get you change"
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13 Posts
Im not exactly sure I understand the purpose. So one would only do this when engine braking on a curve/turn? Or always do this when downshifting?

Ride till you die but dont die till you ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
81 Posts
Originally posted by thewzard

Im not exactly sure I understand the purpose. So one would only do this when engine braking on a curve/turn? Or always do this when downshifting?

Ride till you die but dont die till you ride.
As mentioned earlier, the point is to use the brakes to slow you down, not the engine. Downshifting should be done to get you in the proper gear to exit a corner.

Blipping the throttle is much smoother than using the rear tire to bring the motor up to speed while downshifting. All this (braking & downshifting) should be done BEFORE you tip the bike into the turn (at least while you're learning).

It's all about being as smooth as possible. If you end up pulsing the brake lever as you blip the throttle, you're defeating the purpose. It definitely takes some practice to get it right, but you'll really feel the difference when you nail it perfectly.

Red
AMA #439394
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
57 Posts
it also helps to decrease the wear and tear on the moving parts. if you blip before you let the clutch out after a shift..the moving parts are up to engine speed before you let out the clutch. if you just let out the clutch without blipping, those moving parts get snatched and that's bad, m'kay?

and as said above, it makes you smoother which is a good thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Originally posted by cyberdos

grab the front brake with your three outer fingers and blip with the index and thumb. Also, unless you are throttling with your foot, your back brake might help;)
Bliping is not to stop. It's just to slow you down or to get into the right gear when cornering.

NYC potholes SUCK!
Use only your index finger to break, believe me that is enough - just practice breaking with the index finger, you'll see that you get all the brake you need. With the remaining fingers, it will be easier to blip the throttle to match engine rpm's with the lower gear ratio. Remember if you use the engine as a brake the engine will brake.

let's ride
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Yeah, i would have to say its all personal preference.
I've been riding for about a month now, and i started by braking with my three outter fingers. But lately, i've been practicing braking with my two inner fingers, and blipping with my two outter fingers.

Is it kinda like the idea of double clutching in your car???
I am not sure what double clutching is, and i just wanted to know if its the same thing.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
558 Posts
double clutching is when you pull the clutch back in and let it go quickly while keeping current throtle after you've shifted into gear to give you an extra little jump(this is all done while accelerating). I wouldn't recomend doing it on a high-performance motorcycle unless your fully comfortable on your bike. I do it in my p.o.s. civic all the time never on my bike cause its already fast enough.
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top