Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Blew my motor yyayyyyy!:Damn: At 21,050 miles...Melted Cylinder 3, it's now one of my mods. I'll throw some tasty pics on here today:poo:. The piston ate a valve and the tip of my spark plug, then bent the other 3 valves in that cylinder
:drink40: has commenced

·
Registered
203 Posts
Holly shit..so I've never actually blown a bike engine..what happened when it went boom? lol

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Holly shit..so I've never actually blown a bike engine..what happened when it went boom? lol
Same thing that happens in a car engine, except idle is a lot higher RPM. Obnoxious, loud knocking/tapping and power loss. It never seized up though. I've got some decent pics of the internals I'll try to post up today

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
cruisin...thinkin about seein if i can trade this thing in toward an '09 or '10

·
Registered
28,591 Posts
melted the #1 piston a few weeks ago in my 636. also have it added to my mods ;)

i was cruising at 140 when it blew. no abnormal noises, just a distinct loss of power. stopped accelerating and when i sat up and started to slow down i looked behind me and all you could see for half a mile was blue smoke. i shut it down at that point and coasted to a stop...holed #1 piston, gouged #1 cylinder wall, melted the #1 cylinder head and bent a valve. sprayed molten aluminum onto the #1 connecting rod(and through the oil feel hole for the piston pin, which scored up the pin and small end bearing surface)

i just ordered $700 worth of parts i need for a rebuild. . so i had to get a head, valves, cylinders, pistons(same motor the cylinders came from), one connecting rod. and i on top of that i decided to replace my cams as the bearing surfaces were somewhat worn, and i have some new piston pins on the way as well.

motor's also getting new connecting rod big end bearings and crankshaft main journal bearings as well. decided not to skimp and just freshen the whole thing up while i'm at it.

oh, and new rings.

definitely looking forward to your pics. do you know what caused it yet? drop a valve or break a valve spring?

·
Registered
116 Posts
melted the #1 piston a few weeks ago in my 636. also have it added to my mods ;)

i was cruising at 140 when it blew. no abnormal noises, just a distinct loss of power. stopped accelerating and when i sat up and started to slow down i looked behind me and all you could see for half a mile was blue smoke. i shut it down at that point and coasted to a stop...holed #1 piston, gouged #1 cylinder wall, melted the #1 cylinder head and bent a valve. sprayed molten aluminum onto the #1 connecting rod(and through the oil feel hole for the piston pin, which scored up the pin and small end bearing surface)

i just ordered $700 worth of parts i need for a rebuild. . so i had to get a head, valves, cylinders, pistons(same motor the cylinders came from), one connecting rod. and i on top of that i decided to replace my cams as the bearing surfaces were somewhat worn, and i have some new piston pins on the way as well.

motor's also getting new connecting rod big end bearings and crankshaft main journal bearings as well. decided not to skimp and just freshen the whole thing up while i'm at it.

oh, and new rings.

definitely looking forward to your pics. do you know what caused it yet? drop a valve or break a valve spring?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
That sucks

·
Registered
479 Posts
That really sucks. I know the feeling cus I dropped a valve a little bit ago. I highly recommend replacing all the valve springs because they get weaker and weaker the harder you ride along with the milage.

·
Registered
287 Posts
That really sucks. I know the feeling cus I dropped a valve a little bit ago. I highly recommend replacing all the valve springs because they get weaker and weaker the harder you ride along with the milage.
How exactly does this process start to happen? from neglecting the motor, or does it happen naturally? from mistreatment?

·
The Indifference Engine
6,150 Posts
How exactly does this process start to happen? from neglecting the motor, or does it happen naturally? from mistreatment?
Don't worry about it, it's rarely the valve springs getting weak that causes the problem. Usually lack of adjustment - every 24000km or so. Or they were adjusted incorrectly.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Don't worry about it, it's rarely the valve springs getting weak that causes the problem. Usually lack of adjustment - every 24000km or so. Or they were adjusted incorrectly.

Good to know!!! i appreciate your reply

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
sorry guys I'll throw em up soon, been busy trying to work the situation out and unfortunately can't upload pics from work.

I think the whole thing was linked to the cam chain guide breaking up and clogging the oil sump killing oil flow, which then led to the cylinder over heating. I haven't checked the crank yet so it's still possible that the source could be there too because the tip of my spark plug is missing and only cylinder #3 had this issue.

goingtoscotland
I'm surprised you picked up all that stuff for $700...the head alone on the '07's new costs $1500.

·
Registered
467 Posts
convert it to a triple :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts