Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i went to check on the bike the other day after a storm and noticed a puddle of oil under it. It appears to be coming from the rear shock..I dont ride the bike hard at all and I havent rode that much. how much is something like this to fix, and where can i obtain the parts without having to get raped by a mechanic?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Originally posted by simplistikzx9r
i went to check on the bike the other day after a storm and noticed a puddle of oil under it. It appears to be coming from the rear shock..I dont ride the bike hard at all and I havent rode that much. how much is something like this to fix, and where can i obtain the parts without having to get raped by a mechanic?
you might as well replace it. most stock shocks are shit anyway and 10 year old shock is due for a replacement or rebuild anyway.

i replaced the shock on my 98zx9 with one out of a 2005 zx10r. it was longer which was fine because i wanted some more rear ride height. the lower mount had to be machined about 1.5mm to fit over my clevis.

the shock was $40 plus shipping. its not a lot of money. you can look on ebay for shocks from different bikes for even less. i see shocks from zx6 through zx12 for next to nothing out there. most of them will fit with a little machining.

·
Registered
282 Posts
let me know if you need a shock. I have a couple that are off the 00 6r that should fit your year. I figure $20 shipped would be good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i need something by friday ...what would be good? im 6'4, 260 ...the bike is stretched 8
" so if its longer that would be good right? what years are compatible?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Originally posted by simplistikzx9r
i need something by friday ...what would be good? im 6'4, 260 ...the bike is stretched 8
" so if its longer that would be good right? what years are compatible?
I am not 100% if it's a pefect fit. I do know that most shocks are compatiable within kawi's as long as they do not hit anything. Check ronayers.com and see if they are the same part number. Mine are off a 00 zx6r.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.