Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me last week that my exhaust had a blue flame coming out of it. It was at night and said that it's kinda hard to notice unless you're really looking at it.
What does this mean.
Is it a bad thing??

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am not a guru but this might help. Have you a slip on? I put one on a while back and a friend told me about my blue flame along with a little popping when letting off the throttle from hard acceleration. There is a small amount of unburned fuel in your exhaust that is being ignited inside your can from the heat of said muffler. The presance of this fuel is normal but what is not normal is the fact that oxygen must be getting inside the can to produce a combustionable mixture. Did your slip on come with a rubber gasket? (assuming you have a slip on)

I have a Yosh and it did not come with a gasket. I used Permatex Ultra Copper high temp RVT silicone gasket maker to make a gasket. (Gold/copper tube) You can pick it up at an auto parts store or a hardware store. No one has said anything about the flame and the popping is gone. The muffler has a better sound as well, smother and deeper growl at idle. Hope this helps.

BTW I took the bitch down the highway without a muffler before I made the gasket. So loud my ears were ringing.

Eric

Edited by - joyrider on 08/14/2002 19:34:24

·
Registered
32 Posts
Amita,
per the previous post, if you have a std exhaust can, I'd be checking how it seals at the pipe, as with the std can it shouldn't do this. Even with a good seal at the pipe/can junction, it is still common for a/m cans to pop and shoot some blue flame out the exhaust on the over run, eg, closed throttle at reasonably high revs. This becomes more pronounced as you raise above sea level as the fuel mix gets richer in fuel and leaner in air, leaving more unburnt fuel to find its way to the end of the can and once it mates with some air at the end of the can, ignition, poping sound and blue flame.

It's no big deal unless your carb jetting is so out of whack it is doing it when you shut the throttle at 4000 rpm. I can kick my bike back a gear at 10,000 rpm at the track and I will just hear some soft poping coming from the can. However if I go say +3000ft above sea level and kick it back at 8000rpm, it lets out very, very loud booms until I get back on the throttle. A mate followed me one night up in the hills and he said each time it popped, a foot of blue flame would shoot out the exhaust.

Tony

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I do have an aftermarket exhaust (see my bike in member profile and pics).
Thanks for the info guys.

OH, BTW joyrider. I think I sordof met you when I was up in the Lake of the Ozarks at the end of June. You were with two other guys and I never spoke to you but I did Big Jugs. Anyway, If I'm wrong just ignore it but I'm pretty sure it was you! Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Amita, did you get my mail. I tried to PM you here but realised we don't have that when my e-mail came up. Anyways I am the same guy you thought I was. I didn't talk to a lot of people in the Ozarks so it isn't personal. Just Shy. Are you guys planning on going back next year? I'm thinking next year we need to get a bunch of people together and rent a house boat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any carbuerated bike will do it, i have yet to see a FI bike do it. U can do it by simply revving the piss out of the bike while it is in nuetral or the clutch is pulled in, and hitting your kill switch once the bike hits like 14k. My bike doesn't make a pop, but the damn thing puts a nice blue/yellow flame out of the back. It is "bad" for the bike, you lose baffling from your muffler and it puts strain on the engine itself also. It's kinda cool to do when a car full of girls is like 1-2 lanes away blastin some beat, gets their attention real quick. Anyways, hoped that helped!

Bri

A wise man once said worrying is like sitting in a rocking chair, it gives ya something to do, but doesn't soplve the problem!!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
It certainly isn't anything to worry about it's just the overun of excess gases i think it looks fucking cool man banging a few big flames out my two kids love it i almost set the bushes onfire in the garden the other week, i came back from a ride and the kids were messing around in the garden and asked me to do some poppers holding it on the limiter and flicking the kill switch fucking brilliant man even better in the dark so dont worry just enjoy it it's mental man every body in the uk i ride with has perfected these down to a fine art and we scare inocent bystanders half to death on a regular basis.

cheers john

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
joyrider...Sorry for the late reply but I haven't gotten the e-mail yet. The reason is that there was some updates done on the server that e-mail is on and there's something we have to do now to get it but we just haven't done that yet. Thanks for the reply and no problem about not speaking.
I'm quite shy in person so I understand about not talking to many people. Not sure if we are going next year. It was a nice place and I would like to go if more people are planning on going this time.

Thanks for the replies everyone!!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Amita. I havn't been here for a while. I was a little let down with the turnout in the Ozarks. I was expecting a lot more people to be there. We still had fun though. It is easy for those of us that live so close. I wish there was something we could do to help turnout. We (me and BigJugs) were thinking next year everyone should get together and rent a house boat. Its a shame we never got out on the lake. BTW does your boyfriend ride an Aprilia? (I butchered the spelling)

It ain't worth dying if you haven't ever lived.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.