Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting my Ivans jet kit installed and dyno tuned next week, and am considering buying a BMC race filter. How many of you guys run this filter on the street? Would it significantly decrease the life of my motor? Is it covered by a mesh or something to keep rocks etc. from crushing through the filter element? I'd like the added intake noise and slight power increase, but don't want to sacrifice the motor in the process. Thanks:)

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I have the race filter. And have had zero problems with it. Yes it has wire mesh that makes it pretty sturdy. The surface area of the actual filter element is a lot smaller than the stock element. NOTE* This is my personal opinion, I believe the stock element flows more volume of air, but the smaller opening on the BMC filter may have more velocity due to the smaller opening. Giving the airbox a tapered waterhose effect.

You can also remove the resonators from the air intake and plug the holes if you want more intake noise.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by NinetySix
duct tape works fine, and ive heard it can make it "too loud" [B)]

im keen to do the same ;)
Too loud is just right! j/k. My slip on(V&Hs4) is actually really quiet and I welcome a little more noise. I think a little more induction noise would sound awesome, as long as it isn't rediculous. I went ahead and started taking off the resonators tonight, and I'm going to look for something to plug them with tomorrow. I'll be able to post up about the change in sound tomorrow. Worst case scenario, I'll just put them back on.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by jeffwest5599
Yes pictures would be great. I am interested in the part where you remove the resonators. I have not heard of this and was wondering how it was done and if it affected anything.
I wish I had a digital camera!:( It's easy though. If you take off the side and top part of the fairing, you can see the resonator plugged into the ram air tube. It is held on by one of the bolts in the side fairing. I'm still looking for something to plug the ram air tube with. Anything would probably work though....duct tape, etc.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
go to any auto zone or home depot. they have plastic plugs that fit perfect and seal with a little rubber cement or any type glue.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well I finished up tonight. I found 2 "Rain Bird" sprinkler nozzles at Osh orchard supply that worked perfectly as a plug. I sealed them with a little silicon, reversed a screw they had in them, and slid them into the rubber grommet in the ram air tubes. I don't notice a power difference, but didn't expect to. It can really only help, even if it isn't noticeable. The sound is just a touch louder. Don't expect it to be crazy loud, because it isn't.....it's only a slight difference.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.