Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I finally got my battery replaced and got my bike up and running. Now, when I slowly accelerate, the bike gets to a maximum of 70 mph, at which time it won't move any further. It also begins to hesitate badly. The carbs are clean. I'm not sure what could be going on I checked the fuel hoses to make sure that none of them are pinching. Any ideas guys?

·
Registered
410 Posts
Is the hesitation rhythmic? Rhythmic is usually electrical and random is often fuel.

Fuel and/or air filter? Clogged petcock? Float bowls sticking? Wrong size needles? Junk in the tank? Bad fuel pump? Fouled plugs? Dirty carbs? Carbs out of sync? Bad coil? Bad wires? Could be a million things. Process of elimination.

Check the obvious stuff and then if still a problem do a fuel volume and pressure check.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
bad/old gas, fuel pump, clogged tank, clogged vent in cap.

theres really a lot of possibles. i would always assume fuel first, almost all power related problems on zx7's are fuel/dirty carbs.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interested in this as I am having some similar problems. I understand and agree its definitely a process of elimination, but I am wondering about coils. Is there any static test for coils and can coils that appear ok break down when they get hot?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Interested in this as I am having some similar problems. I understand and agree its definitely a process of elimination, but I am wondering about coils. Is there any static test for coils and can coils that appear ok break down when they get hot?
Tis quite often how the problem shows itself.
I've Ohm tested coils and they appear fine, yet have broken down under load.
Remember as well, a multi-meter isn't putting a load through them it's just measuring the resistance.
The windings are usually coated in a type of varnish and it's this coating that usually (I've found anyway) that causes the problem.
It only has to come off in one small spot and it's enough to create a short.
Put the coil under load and you give the current enough to punch out and start a short.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts