Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm gonna be buyin my bike either this thursday or friday, but I've read all the bike magazines out there and I need something else to read and focus my mind on, instead of going crazy thinkin about my future baby. Here's a list of books that seem to be pretty popular: The Complete idiot's Guide to Motorcycles, Motorcycle Owner's Manual, a Practical Guide to Keeping your Motorcycle in Top Condition, The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence: Skills, Knowledge, and Strategies for Riding Right, Proficient Motorcycling: The Ultimate Guide to Riding Well, Street Strategies: A Survival Guide for Motorcyclists, Twist of the Wrist, Twist of the Wrist II, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance: An Inquiry into Values, Sportbiking, Sportbiking: The Real World II, and The Sportbike Performace Handbook. Yeah, thats a long list. Anyway, I was wondering if you could tell me which of these books (if you heard of any) you guys would recommend me to buy, and if there are any other books out there I should look at. Also, maybe you could break it down into categories and tell me which book is the best in each group. For example, as and "overall" book, you could consider the "Idiots Guide", for safe riding you can consider the "MSF" book, for maintainance you can consider the "Motorcycle Owner's Manual, a Practical Guide to Keeping your Motorcycle in Top Condition", etc. Since i obviously don't want to buy all of these, I'd like to know which ones I should, you know? Anyway, I'd really appreciate some help in deciding, cause i am a really, really indecisive person.

"Burn rubber, not your soul."

·
Registered
720 Posts
The idiots guide is for people that are completly clueless. It gives you general ideas about things. Buy an owners manuel. The The Motorcycle Safety Foundation's Guide to Motorcycling Excellence is pretty good. Talks about the different drivers, physics of turning, riding at night, riding in groups. Everything you want to know.

Drive it like you stole it

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
maybe you need some real riding time before you buy a 600....first bike?

Vin:"I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time"
Arturo:Hahahahhaha...Why?

·
Registered
4,295 Posts
A Twist of the Wrist II, is an excellent read. It might be focused on track riding only, but the techniques and theories in there apply to any kind of riding. The book is much better than the MSF class (except for the actual bike riding) in my opinion. In MSF, they tell you to do this and don't tell you why. "Drive in a straight line and push on the left handle grip." Code's books don't tell you what to do, they explain what happens if you do this and if you don't do this.

The most interesting part for me was the explanation of how a bike can wheelie through a corner while laid over and still turn.

-gary
'02 6R

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.