Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a new 650r rider today, I was expecting to pick my bike up.

However, things didn't go as planned as I dropped the bike while trying to back it up.

What happened was that with my dainese leather pants and the sidi boots, there was too much cushioning around the calves and it kept knocking on the levers and the foot peg as i was trying to back it up.

I took a look down to see what happened, and the next thing, the bike tipped over.

I got a nice broken right mirror as a souvenier. Now, it's back at the dealer. Just minor scratches on the fairing, but im happy nothing too serious...

Now im going to ride with jeans and my normal boots first until I get used to the bike.... =/ and I guess that's why dainese made the torque in boots.... their CE armor on the shin is really thick for this reason too i guess.

Anybody have any other suggestions?

+++
I also managed to knock the gear lever down into first gear while i was reversing quite a few times...i can imagine how much worst it would have been today if i squeezed the throttle accidentally =O

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yup...took the MSF course...i didn't have a problem with the clutch control...and i got to say, the 650r was waaaay better than the bikes used in the MSF course....lotsa torque, easy to get off the line

i guess i should have looked at these threads first:

leather pants & boots [Archive] - MotoHouston.com
Dainese Delta Pelle and Sidi Vertigo Corsa [Archive] - ducati.org forum | the home for ducati owners and enthusiasts

I have the Dainese delta pants and the Sidi ST boots....now, i am wondering, should i get the torque in boots (and my ST boots will not have any use), or should i get another pair of pants that doesn't have shin armor (and my dainese pants will not have any use)?

Be warned!! Some stuff don't go along well together as I have learnt today :(

·
Registered
121 Posts
Is this your first bike? Sounds like it is. You can always tell who's a squid in the stealership (always fumbling around the new bikes). My advice, sell your 650 and buy something smaller. (if it is your first bike) Also buy a used one for cheap, you don't want those "mis-haps" happening on a brand new bike which costs close to 10 grand.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That's a good one, I sat on the 250r and I felt kinda exposed on it...I'm just curious, do u guys feel that way too when u were on it? I know the 250R is lighter, but now im asking myself if the same mishap would have happened if i had a 250 instead....:confused:

Of course, that thread is beaten to death though lolx...a 250r vs 650r for a beginner....

Well...I bought it *scratches head*...the kinda next step is to manage it slowly and learn I guess...just a learning process~

·
Registered
121 Posts
You could also try lowering it with lowering links...Might put your feet out farther while stopped and make handling the bike at low speeds a little more comfortable.

·
Veteran Lowsider
20,840 Posts
That's a good one, I sat on the 250r and I felt kinda exposed on it...I'm just curious, do u guys feel that way too when u were on it? I know the 250R is lighter, but now im asking myself if the same mishap would have happened if i had a 250 instead....:confused:

Of course, that thread is beaten to death though lolx...a 250r vs 650r for a beginner....

Well...I bought it *scratches head*...the kinda next step is to manage it slowly and learn I guess...just a learning process~
youre on a motorcycle, theres no seatbelts, no doors, you are completely exposed

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
lolx good one ninjabadger....we're always exposed no matter what....but it's the same kinda feeling that i got when i tried sitting on the supersports bike for fun....it's like you're alot higher than the bike....=O im not sure how to accurately describe it...

and yes, i shall put my foot out further next time...shall not squid at this....lessons learnt one at a time :D

on the way back, the cab driver was telling us that we all shld be happy that we're in one piece :D

·
Premium Member
1,664 Posts
This forum needs a facepalm emoticon...

Reactions: bubbleboys

·
Registered
47 Posts
What's with the holier-than-thou attitude with everybody?

Either recommend some boots/pants/solutions, or leave the thread. Most of the people on here have dropped a bike.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Haha, don't worry guys, I'm chill about it. But thanks for all the support and the advice too. I'll look at lowering the links possibility with my stealership since im a 5'6" 650r noob.

I do agree with Tony that it was one of those palm in the face situation ergghx.... but im glad that it was fixable and nothing bad happened to me. Just gotta be more careful next time when looking down. I figured that I shifted my weight and that's why it dropped. (or as u can call it, being squiddy :p)

But I got a question for the guys with SIDI Boots: What leather pants do u wear? In particular for the SIDI ST boots.

Dainese and SIDI make top of the line protection, and every sportsbike rider probably wants to have it. But from my experience now, it seems that for the ST boots, u can't fit them under regular jeans (i tried just now). And for the dainese stuff, it seems like u really need to buy their "in" boots to match with that THICK (and i really mean THICK) CE armor on the shin. Do u guys feel that way too?

·
Registered
425 Posts
Like NickLAudio said, you might find lowering the bike helps your legs clear the pegs. At 5'6" you might want to back the bike up while you're off it or try a kickstand spin if you're keen.

Most of the time I wear Shift Kevlar jeans over my Sidi boots cos I'm just cruising around town or a brief commute. For the highway, leather pants, always. Mine were custom made cos I'm also not that tall

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
Its not the gear. Its the technique. Duck walking is one of the first techniques msf teaches you.
+1 I'm not trying to be a dick but its not the gear. People ride with that shit regularly. I won't get on my bike without my sidi vertigos on. You need experience and you def shouldn't skimp on gear, especially if you have it. You will need to get used to it eventually. It sounds like this is your first bike with little to no road time so I suggest practicing in a large open parking lot, the road holds many obstacles.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I'll keep practising on it guys!

But just curious:

1) For those with Dainese gear, what do u wear for your boots?
2) For those with Sidi boots, what do you wear for your pants?

I think this is something tt's really interesting to know about!

So far, 1 person has told me that with Sidi boots, it's a custom leather pants. Are there any other options (especially with the Sidi ST?)

+++
To add, I don't want anybody else to face with this problem of mine. Honestly, it was painful after walking around with the Sidis and Dainese pants combo... =/

+++
I also walked around in my house with the boots on to break them in, and i played COD while im in my riding gear :D

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sidi boots, and regular jeans with Astar shin/knee gaurds.
5'6 the bike should be manageable, just awkward. Just some practice, get accustomed to gear, and go from there.
Walking the bike around will become more and more natural.

·
Premium Member
22,797 Posts
You're in all new gear. Brand new leather stuff needs to be broken in and conditioned. It's going to be difficult to move around in at first and coupled with a bike that's too tall for you? Yikes.

Hell with the boots I'd recommend wearing them and walking around somewhere: Say a mall, for a half hour. When I got my A* boots I could barely move the things. I walked to 7-11 and back and the things moved a ton better.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts