Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 5'4 looking for boots that will add significant height. I would like to get a bigger bike and I would like to be able to flat foot the bike, or at least feel comfortable with it, I don't want to end up dropping it or something. any suggestions would be awesome, thanks

·
Registered
835 Posts
I'm a short dude, 5' 6" and only ride track so my boot's are full racing boot's.
They limit any attempt to tip-toe so as I usually do suggest wearing full protection race boots ALL THE TIME......they won't work for you.
You may be better off lowering the bigger bike and/or shaving the seat foam.
I'd go with trying to adjust the seat before lowering the bike.
Or buy a pair of Gene Simmons boot's :)

·
Registered
1,800 Posts
I'm a short dude, 5' 6" and only ride track so my boot's are full racing boot's.
They limit any attempt to tip-toe so as I usually do suggest wearing full protection race boots ALL THE TIME......they won't work for you.
You may be better off lowering the bigger bike and/or shaving the seat foam.
I'd go with trying to adjust the seat before lowering the bike.
Or buy a pair of Gene Simmons boot's :)
Quoted for the truth just in case this gets removed per da wiminz forum rulz... :eek:

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
lol, thanks, i don't care who responds, i just need to know what could help when buying a bigger bike, i just want a streetfighter r6, but idk. thanks

·
Registered
749 Posts
lol, thanks, i don't care who responds, i just need to know what could help when buying a bigger bike, i just want a streetfighter r6, but idk. thanks
I agree on the previous posts, that you should consider lowering the bike instead of depending on 'high heels'. Another question: How safe do you feel on your current bike? Can you get your feet on the ground on it? If so, try riding with some heels on it first, and see if you feel ok setting down your feet, and operate all controls.

I bought some Icon 'Bombshell Boots' just for kicks, and I didn't need them really to get my feet down on the 500R. The boots are actualy great quality riding boots, with extra padding, great leather, wedge heel (so you wouldn't get stuck on the pegs) and all. BUT they have a narrow heel, and if you're not safe on the stops right now, you'll be in trouble later. Also, if you get boots with heels, your feet will be shorter on the controls. Boots with a thick sole might not go between pegs at all to let you work the controls in the first place.

I lowered my ZX6R 2 inches, and I feel great on it.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i have a 97 ninja ex250 and i can flat foot with both feet perfectly, its just that when i went to a motorcycle show earlier this year, every bike i sat on was WAY too high for me, and I really want to buy another bike this year thats a 600cc.

·
Registered
749 Posts
lol Let me assure you, you're not the only one who's got this problem! Still, if you want to depend on your riding gear, better find out early if you can handle 'heels', and break them in properly before you get on a bigger, unfamiliar bike. There is a difference. The boots I'm talking about have a good 3 inch heel. They will get the feet down, but at the same time they bring your knees up (wedge heel, and seat-pegs-distance stays the same..). Shifting and breaking requires some ankle twists, and in the beginning you'd have to fight a bit against stiff boots. If you can't handle this on a familiar bike, heels are not for you. I actually bought the boots for the same reason ($170 is a lot less than ending up with a $10000 bike that I can't ride...), but long before I decided to buy a bigger bike. Don't need them for this reason, but I still love them. Still, I usually ride in racing boots or touring boots. They have both low heels, which won't cause any problems when I mix-and-match the rest of my gear with it. Higher heels require longer pants, or pants that are not constricting in any other way, because the leg position is different, especially when you upgrade to a super sport. In case of heels, I recommend wedges, because the pegs will tear up regular heels...

And then: You can get lowering links, e.g. for a ZX6R, for around $100 when you shop around a bit, and a good mechanic can install them in about 1 hour.... That's even cheaper than good boots.....

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I really want a ducati 696 monster sometime next year, I don't want to lower it, I would probably shave the seat but I really want boots that are inexpensive and that add height... anybody have reccomendations?

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok thanks, i just bought boots today and actually went and sat on some 600s and i tip toe, so i should be fine with the boots i bought today or if i just lower it an inch or so.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Or you can just grow

·
Registered
4,819 Posts
I used to have a CBR that was too tall for me to put both feet down. It just means that you will have to get off your bike to park it sometimes. Also, you have to slide your butt over a little when you stop and get used to only putting one foot down. Once you get the hang of it, it's not too hard to stop with only one foot down all the time. Plus, modern sport bikes are really light. I don't trust taller boots, but that's just me.

Here's a great article if you're vertically challenged:
Get Shorty - CA, United States, Sportbike Club Blog post - Brought to you by 2 Wheel Tuner magazine

I know it's not the answer you're looking for, but there's a few options out there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts