Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a trashed 09 ZX6R, bald tire, cracked oil pan, lowered GSXR dogbones, half of the fairings missing, teeth missing from front sprocket.

We worked all day and night for a record build to get it ready for the race track...Immediately stripped the bike down to the motor and frame, installed a new oil pan, K&N filter, Motul oil, raised the back end with stock bones, deleted servo and unnecessary weight (sprocket cover, hugger, turn signal controls, etc.).

Installed new Pirelli Supercorsa tires, Galfer SS lines, Factory Bodyworks race fairings, Woodcraft CFM case covers, Pitbull spools, Woodcraft Clip-ons, BMC filter and modified airbox, Full GP style exhaust, Power Commander with custom race tune on the dyno, Vortex keyless gas cap, Vortex sprockets and RK chain. Tuned the stock suspension for my weight and race pace. Went for a little test and tune...

Added custom graphics and off to the races to take a few top 5 finishes, one 2nd place, and narrowly missed out on two 1st place finishes.

Good enough for BOTM?????

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
Nice man! What did you do with the suspension?

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
I believe you need to be a member for three months or have 50 posts before you can actually enter your bike. So on that note, post away! It's got a pretty good story at least, which is a plus. Most BOTM winners have no story, just "hey, here's my bike".

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice man! What did you do with the suspension?
Thanks! I was planning to upgrade to Ohlins TTX rear and 30mm NIX front, but had to run stock due to time restraints. We set up the rear a little softer than we normally would for racing on the stock spring for excellent rebound, and dialed in the pre-load for my weight. I've got some race settings for rebound and compression that we've got dialed in over time, but I can't post all my secrets! I can tell you that as an amateur I was passing experts on 09 ZX6R's with full suspensions. =)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe you need to be a member for three months or have 50 posts before you can actually enter your bike. So on that note, post away! It's got a pretty good story at least, which is a plus. Most BOTM winners have no story, just "hey, here's my bike".
Didn't read that, just where to post!!! Oh well. It's here anyways, cool to see feedback. Thanks!

·
That Fighter Guy
15,175 Posts
Just keep surfin' Kawiforums, say hello to a bunch of newbies, offer up some info, or just post pics of boobies and you'll be at 50 posts in no time.

I have stock components on my bike and I tore it up on the track with no issues, and that's coming from a guy who weighs 210 lbs nekked. Little more preload, a few tweaks on the damping adjusters, and I was zipping around the track with ease. Almost looked like I knew what I was doing too. LOL.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Pure Sportbikes,

Probably a dumb question but what are you wearing over your race suit in the one picture? I thought it was a bookbag at first.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Pure Sportbikes,

Probably a dumb question but what are you wearing over your race suit in the one picture? I thought it was a bookbag at first.
i was about to ask the same thing until i noticed the cord running to the damper area

then i recognized it to be similar to RS Taichi's T-Raps system

OP, have you had to actually use that airbag?
if so, could you post a review
reusable?

i wouldnt mind getting that for commuting

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OP, have you had to actually use that airbag?
if so, could you post a review
reusable?
Yes, that particular one I crashed in 5 times. I was able to repack it the first 4 times. It's a simple fold and snap for the airbag section, and you install a new co2 canister. Takes less than 5 min. I've been really impressed with how it really works and holds up to abuse and abrasion. On the last crash it finally wore through on a very small section.

As far as crashing is concerned, it feels like crashing on pillows, or that you aren't crashing at all. Really a cool feeling, if you can describe crashing as cool at all. It inflates around your neck and down your chest and back, down to your tailbone, so there's plenty of protection. I enjoy riding knowing that I've got the extra protection available to me. I've felt what it feels like to crash and tumble plenty of times without it...BIG DIFFERENCE!!!

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
I wonder why you don't see more of them.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$350 is cheap. I blow that in gas on the way to the track and back. You see plenty of people with Arai and Suomy helmets that cost $700+. The rest of your body is just as important as your head!!!

·
Registered
28,787 Posts
They are kinda pricey, but so is everything in this sport. If you are an AMA level racer and blowing through $1200 in tires in a weekend whats $500 for an air vest?

·
Registered
202 Posts
first time ive seen that! very cool and when it comes to safety its worth the investment! If only airfences wernt so boddy expensive! here in Canada our national series has like 1 maybe 2 and if your lucky they'll actually put them up. about a month ago a dude broke his fihmer hitting the armco cause they didnt put it up right away!!! anyways sweet bike and +1 for the airbag vest thingy :) its prolly good for at least a second a lap! haha

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just keep surfin' Kawiforums, say hello to a bunch of newbies, offer up some info, or just post pics of boobies and you'll be at 50 posts in no time.

I have stock components on my bike and I tore it up on the track with no issues, and that's coming from a guy who weighs 210 lbs nekked. Little more preload, a few tweaks on the damping adjusters, and I was zipping around the track with ease. Almost looked like I knew what I was doing too. LOL.

What track do you go to? I see you have a first timer into shirt on in your sig pic.

I can't tell what track that is.

·
Premium Member
769 Posts
Hello,
Please consider this as my entry for the July 2011 BOTM contest.
Thank you!
Andre

Year: 2011
Model: ZX6R
Accessories: Vortex frame/swingarm sliders - TechSpec Grips - Gorilla alarm
Mods: - M4 GP Exhaust - Yoshimura Fender Eliminator - Passenger foot pegs removed
And the story: Not too much of a story here. This is my first motorcycle ever. I've had pelvic issues for years and tried sitting on many bikes and this one was the most comfortable, stretching my lower back as opposed to putting weight on it. I read multiple books, purchased the service manual, took the MSF, and watched many videos (professional, not youtube) on how to ride, before I even sat on my bike. Now, I feel free. It is one of the most enjoyable experiences of my life and I look forward to many years of riding.

I've performed all of my mods and service myself up to this point, thanks to pointers and lessons I learned from this forum, in conjunction with everything mentioned above. I'm glad I found you!

Thanks for the consideration! On with the pics:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts