Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's at 1800 miles. Should I just pour in some 10w40 oil or do a complete oil change? (When should I make the switch for semi-synthetic/ synthetic/conventional oil?) The last oil change was done at 600 miles. I was so foolish not to look at the oil level (such a NOOB move)! Back brake oil looks good. Front looks slightly empty. Does it also hurt the bike if you change it every 1000 miles? I know that's killing the environment, too! HAHA! Any inputs would be greatly appreciated!

Atypicalperson

·
Registered
139 Posts
Are you saying your oil level is low and you've been riding it that way for two days? How low?

All the fluid level should be checked with the bike level. Since Kawi took the center stand off the '08 250's you will need to either use a rear stand or place a 2x4 under the side stand to get it level. If you go that route get someone to help you stabilize the bike so you don't tip it over wrenching on it.

Since you don't know what the previous owner did in the 1200 miles since the last oil change I would change the oil and the filter NOW. Most guys are suggesting the switch to syn in the 3,500-4,500 range. If you switch too early (like now) the rings and "other" parts wont have seated in correctly and never will with synthetic oil.

Use the search function in the different forums to see what other have to offer on oil changes, brake fluid etc. You know how to use the search function don't you? :)

Have fun and ride safe.

·
Registered
104 Posts
When I bought my bike I changed the oil and filter once I put 500 miles on it. I bought it with 1400. So at 1900 about I change oil and I switched to full-synthetic. The old oil had bits of metal in it. Once I switched to ful synthetic the gear shifting into first was very smooth. If Old Guy is right about switching too early to Synthetic then DOH...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts