Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I was going to get a 250 but after seeing a 500 for near same price, I have purchased that.

Im going to keep the bike in my basement and since it will be at mostly room temperature, what do I need to do to keep it for the winter.

I can take it out and run the bike if needed. It has a new oil change and a new tank of gas.

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Well I was going to get a 250 but after seeing a 500 for near same price, I have purchased that.

Im going to keep the bike in my basement and since it will be at mostly room temperature, what do I need to do to keep it for the winter.

I can take it out and run the bike if needed. It has a new oil change and a new tank of gas.
Well, you should definately add some Sta-Bil to the gas if it's going to be in the tank for a while. Otherwise the ethanol in the gas will cause the water to separate and cause starting problems and gum up your carbs and all that bad stuff. Assuming your basement is heated you shouldn't have to do much else except run it once in a while. You might also want to look into hooking a Battery Tender Jr. up to the battery to keep it charged between startings. Make sure to get the engine up to full running temperature when you do start it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hehe, Thanks for the reply.

I agree on Fuel Stabilizer. I will also do tire rotation so i wont get the flat spot, maybe ad some blocks to raise it up.

Can I not take the battery out? Instead of charging it?

·
Registered
184 Posts

I agree on Fuel Stabilizer. I will also do tire rotation so i wont get the flat spot, maybe ad some blocks to raise it up.

You can use the center stand to avoid that.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okie, ill try to get something from my daeler, maybe ill get a pump jack for the bike,

·
Registered
2,247 Posts

Sure. Take it into the living room where it's nice and warm and will be a great conversation starter. You still might have to charge it next spring to get enough power to start the bike. The battery will discharge a bit just by sitting. Don't leave it sitting on a concrete floor or it will not hold a charge at all by spring.

Track stands are the best way to prevent flat spots on tires.

·
ratherberiding
18,439 Posts
oh man, we have an 07 GS500 at the shop. That thing is the hugest piece of crap. The GSF650 is WAY better.

If somehow you can return it and get the 250, you will be way better off

[gs500 rant off]

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
why do you not like the 500GSF? check Email.

I have a choice to get 250 should i get that instead?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts