Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just bought a used 2008 250R, the guy had paperwork for recently getting two new tires, sprocket, chain, and a valve adjustment.. the issue my dad and I are finding that it makes a loud knocking noise upon reving.. It sounds like a rod knocking in a car, kind of. It goes away when idle, and it doesnt happen all the time, but probably about 70%. I just want to make sure it's normal before I let it keep going and it ruins the bike.

Here is a video:

I don't start driving it until monday (after the weekend motorcycle safety course) so I have the weekend to wash it, change the oile etc. Just wanna see what this sound is, really hoping it's nothing TOO serious.. I'd be pissed if I had to buy a new bike/motor etc.

Thanks a lot!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well I did contact the guy, and he said he ran the bike fine.. He said it sounded like that after he got the valve adjustment and he also contacted the shop, they said it's fine. I'm finding it only makes this sound when the bike is cold, after about 5 minutes of driving it, it goes away. It does come back, not very often, but sometimes. My dad has been riding for 23 years and he says it drives/accels perfectly, but the sound concerns him. It drives like a dream.. I'm really hoping to find somebody that has had this issue, because from some research I've done, 250's are pretty imfamous for noises.

Thanks again fellas.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I've also been reading that it could be the cam chain tensioner needs to be cleaned and/or adjusted!

edit: I don't even know if my bike has a cam chain tensioner, but I've seen videos of people adjusting theirs so I assumed mine might. =P

edit edit: I know this is on a model earlier than mine, but this video shows what his bike sounds like before he fixes the cam chain tensioner, and then shows how he fixes it. I've included his video too (I don't claim this video to be mine)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright so I've done some light reading over the past few hours (insomnia is a bitch) and I've found out that 08+ 250R's have a "auto-adjusting" cam chain tensioner. Sometimes these get bogged down, or dirty so they need to be cleaned. The noise is pretty common in kawasakis I guess. The issue I'm having now is trying to find where the spring assembly is located on the bike. I know I'll have to take some plastics off, which is fine. I'm heading to my grandfathers shop in a few hours, so I'd like to find where this is by then!

I'm going to pick up some brake cleaner and some synthetic lube before I go, I'll post pics of the job after it's done.

Thanks in advance, again!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alright well, I guess I'll take it to the dealer today. Really not looking to pay an arm and a leg just for them to check it out, but oh well.

·
Registered
5,288 Posts
A good tip is to use a big screwdriver as a stethescope - put the handle aganist your ear and the blade around the motor - and move it around to try to locate better where the noise is coming from.

Is the noise only when you rev it in neutral? If it is it might just be a rumble from the clutch. Cam chain tends to give a lighter ticking sort of noise.

You do tend to get a bit paranoid about noises from a bike though, and most of them are harmless.

Rob

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Would a rumble from the cluth be a bad thing? It does make that noise while in neutral..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts