Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I managed to find a brand new 2002 at a local dealer for a great price, and rolled out on my first new bike.:) Attached is a pic as I'm sure no one knows what a stock J3 looks like.

One problem though - I find that the view from the mirrors to be really, really, really bad... no matter how I position them, I can't see anything behind me since my shoulders/elbows impede.

I heard that it was possible to bend the mounting arms forward, and then adjust the mirrors for a better view range. Has anyone done this?
the hypnotoad has attached this file: bikecut.jpg

·
Registered
4,213 Posts
try a search with "mirrors". this is a common problem.

welcome to the board The Hypnotoad!

·
Registered
934 Posts
Instead of modifying the mirrors... Why not just do more "shoulder checks" (physically looking around), any good safety course will stress this. Never depend on those mirrors for your safety.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I certainly don't depend on the mirrors, and am always making shoulder checks.... but unless you're Linda Blair, it can be difficult for me to see traffic directly behind in the lane.

I am sensitive to the possibility of being rearended at lights, and would like to keep better tabs on cars that are approaching from directly behind, and their rate of approach. The existing mirror setup is not sufficient for this without significant body contortions.

P.S. - thanks Arturo3rd -I'll give the search function a shot.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Make sure the stems are at the correct angle (in other words... make sure that the rubber boot isn't kinked) Then adjust the glass.

This way the mirrors are out as far as possible... helped me a little

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So the stems are adjustable then? There's nothing in the owners manual about the mirrors, and I haven't taken the boots off, but I had assumed they were fixed to the fairing, and the only moveable part was the glass. Are the stems on a pivot of some kind? thx!!

Originally posted by snotrocket

Make sure the stems are at the correct angle (in other words... make sure that the rubber boot isn't kinked) Then adjust the glass.

This way the mirrors are out as far as possible... helped me a little

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I just move my elbow in when looking in my mirrors, otherwise always look over my shoulder. It's the only way to be sure.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Yes the stems are adjustable. Move them more forwards and then position the mirror so that the outerside is at a slight algle upwards.

ALWAYS do a shoulder check before changing lanes. Most people find the best uses for the mirrors are cop watchers, and at a light to make sure the car behind you doesn't end up ontop of you, they also are good for watching bikes try to catch up to you. key word try.

·
Registered
7,145 Posts
The mirrors are hard to adjust.

Many of us here just lift our arm out a bit and have the mirrors adjusted so that when you look in it you can see between your body and arm. That will give you the best view on what is directly behind you.

-Flash

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the advice guys... I've "unkinked" the mirror stems, and that has helped greatly. I've also added one 1.5" convex "fisheye" mirror to the right mirror, and it helps with vision directly behind.

Still not any replacement for the old shoulder check, but its good enough for now. I'd love to get one of those tiny LCDs and a rear facing camera behind the seat in the future.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Man I have the same problem on my bike. I do look over my shoulder but in really heavy traffic that is kinda hard to be doing. I always end up seeing my elbows in the mirrors. Mainly it is my throttle side I can't see around too well but my left side is better. I guess I just have a different bend on the throttle side.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.