Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I met up with the guy who I'm buying bike from and took it for a spin. Very impressed how easy it is to handle 250r. After talking to him and scheduling a pickup I went to a local moto store and bought some gear.

Fieldsheer Jacket - $149
HJC Helmet (clear screen)- $79
Full leather gloves with knuckle protectors - $49

Total was $302 after tax

Did i get a decent deal? I didnt shop around at all because we dont have many stores around my town that sells this gear and buying online you never know how its going to fit you.

· Registered
118 Posts
You have your head in the right place.

I see so many guys out ridin with no gear on, I feel for em if the unexpected happens. You gotta give yourself a fighting chance. Put boots and kevlar jeans on the list when cash allows.

· Registered
165 Posts
The HJC was good value. Hard to say about the gloves as it depends on the brand. If it was Alpinestars or Richa or Dainese, then yes, you got a good deal. But if they're like Takano or Spada or Velo, then it's about average. Congrats on doing it right though!

· Registered
233 Posts
HJC is a great value esp for first time gear unless you have a lot of money to spend. Only thing I can say is I wish I would have put up the extra money at the beginning for a shoie! After wearing my buddies shoie I went and bought one, the vents actually work in the shoie, and is lighter. But gear is better than no gear.

· Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When i get home I will post up more details on the gear. I want to see if anyone used it before and can give a positive review. The gloves were recommended by the store owner. He wears the same once and said they are the most comfortable gloves he wore. They dry fast after the rain and keep you warm on the cold days.

· Registered
10 Posts
As far as boots go, a lot of people seem to swear by sidi streetburners as the best cross between protection and day-day comfort.

I would also suggest a good sturdy pair of high ankle work boots or something as back up. There will probably be times when you're not going to wear your motorcycle boots, and having a sturdy leather boot is a much better option than your sneakers.

I had an earlier low speed crash, and the way I came down on the my foot I know for sure I would have broken or twisted it bad had I been wearing loose sneakers. Always shoot for good motorcycle boots, but have an alternative to sneakers just in case.

· Premium Member
983 Posts
Glad to see you bought gear. Personal safety is always a good investment.

As for boots, I have been riding for 2 seasons now on a nice set of Icon Accelerant's. About $150 depending where you go. Nice and comfortable for street riding with no breakin period. They make a waterproof and summer version (perforated material).

· Registered
1,575 Posts
once you get a chance and you need more gear, try it on locally so you know your sizing. Great deals to be had online.
I try to support the local shops, but they can not come close to the prices online.
Congrats on the "new" bike

· Registered
5,076 Posts
Nice gear purchases.

You definitely need some boots though. Sidi and Alpinestars are both super comfy and popular.

Im mixed feelings about kevlar jeans, but they are probably worth it in the end.

· Overwhelming Splendidery
13,506 Posts
The pavement will rip your jeans to shreads and take the skin on your hips/ass/knees with it, it doesn't give a shit if you are hot or not (I wear leather overpants).

But I also wear "race boots" (Sidi Vertigos) and only recommend those as well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.